1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia of a uniform solid sphere

1. Apr 7, 2006 #1
    This is not a homework question but I figured this was the most appropriate place to post it-

Taking a uniform solid sphere of radius R and mass M, with the centre of mass at the origin, I divided it into infinitesimal disks of thickness dx, and radius y. I need to find the moment of inertia about the x-axis, so taking an arbitrary disk at some horizontal distance x from the centre of mass, I obtain ;

y^2 + x^2 = R^2, (fairly obviously),

density, rho = dm/dV,

dV = (pi)(y^2)dx => dm = (rho)(pi)(y^2)dx

So using the standard definition for moment of inertia :

I = integral of (y^2)dm

I = integral of (y^2)(rho)(pi)(y^2)dx -with x limits R and -R

= (rho)(pi) integral of ((R^2 - x^2)^2) dx

which simplifies down to I = (16/15)(pi)(rho)R^5,

and using M = (4/3)(pi)R^3, I obtain I = (4/5)MR^2.

Of course my textbook is telling me it should be (2/5)MR^2, and as far as my understanding goes, this is a consequence of each infinitesimal disk having a moment of inertia of (1/2)dm(r^2).

Logically then, using dI = (1/2)dm(r^2), such that :

I = integral of (pi)(rho)((R^2 - x^2)^2)dx with x limits R and 0, the answer comes out correctly as (2/5)MR^2.

Unfortunately, I am not a particularly sophisticated mathematician and I am worried that my own method, using I = integral of (y^2)dm as described, is giving me an answer which is out by a factor of 2.

I fear I may have made a trivial mistake, but if not, I'd greatly appreciate some insight as to the cause of the discrepancy.

Many thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

4. Apr 7, 2006 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?