Moment of inertia of disk about off centre axis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia of a uniform disk of mass m and radius r about an axis normal to the disk, through a point x from the centre. The suggested approach involves using the density (ρ) and calculating the moment of inertia in polar coordinates. However, there is confusion regarding the limits of r and it is suggested to use the parallel axis theorem.
Lucy Yeats

Homework Statement

Find the moment of inertia of a uniform disk of mass m and radius r about an axis normal to the disk, through a point x from the centre.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ρ be the density. I=ρ∫r^2 dA=ρ∫∫r^3 dr dθ in polar coordinates.
However I don't know what the limits of r should be. θ is between 0 and 2 pi, but r max varies, so I'm confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
use parallel axis theorem

Lucy Yeats said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ρ be the density. I=ρ∫r^2 dA=ρ∫∫r^3 dr dθ in polar coordinates.
However I don't know what the limits of r should be. θ is between 0 and 2 pi, but r max varies, so I'm confused.

Your integral is not correct.
The contribution to the moment of inertia of a mass element, at distance D from the axis, is D2dm. Write up D in terms of r and φ (the polar coordinates. ) You have to integrate for the whole disk.

ehild

Attachments

• momentiner.JPG
    momentiner.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 595

1. What is moment of inertia of a disk about an off centre axis?

Moment of inertia of a disk about an off centre axis is a measure of the disk's resistance to rotational motion around that axis. It takes into account the mass distribution of the disk and the distance of its mass from the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia of a disk about an off centre axis calculated?

The moment of inertia of a disk about an off centre axis can be calculated using the formula I = MR^2, where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the disk, and R is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point on the disk where the mass is located.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia of a disk about an off centre axis and a central axis?

The moment of inertia of a disk about an off centre axis is greater than the moment of inertia about a central axis, as the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation increases. This is because the mass distribution is not evenly distributed around the axis of rotation.

4. How does the shape of the disk affect its moment of inertia about an off centre axis?

The shape of the disk can greatly affect its moment of inertia about an off centre axis. A disk with a larger radius and a thinner thickness will have a larger moment of inertia compared to a disk with a smaller radius and a thicker thickness.

5. Why is the moment of inertia of a disk about an off centre axis important in physics?

The moment of inertia of a disk about an off centre axis is important in physics because it plays a crucial role in rotational motion. It is used in equations to calculate angular acceleration, torque, and rotational kinetic energy. It also helps in understanding the stability and balance of rotating objects.