1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia of four particles

1. Oct 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Four particles, one at each of the four corners of a square with 2.0-m-long edges, are connected by massless rods. The masses are m1=m3=3.0 kg and m2=m4=4.0 kg. Find the moment of inertia of the system about the z axis. (the z axis runs through m2, which is at the origin, m1 is on the y axis, and m3 is on the x axis.
    Use the parallel-axis theorem and the result for Problem 41 to find them moment of inertia of the four-particle system about an axis that passes through the center of mass and is parallel with the z axis. Check your result by direct computation.

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know what they mean by direct computation but I get two different answers.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I=m1r1^2+m2r2^2+m3r3^2+m4r4^2=(3kg)(2m)^2+(4kg)(0)+(3kg)(2m)^2+(4kg)(2sqrt(2))^2=56kgm^2
    Icm=I-Mh^2=56-(14kg)(4)=28kgm^2
    Then integrating for Icm I get 9.33 as a result.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2007 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Since the four mass are at equal distances from the axis passing through cm, you can find Icm by using the formula sigma(m)*r^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?