Moment of Inertia problem from MCAT practice book.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of moment of inertia and its relationship to angular momentum. It is determined that angular momentum will remain constant as long as there is no external torque. The question is then posed regarding the effect of dropping weights on the moment of inertia, as the weight would decrease. It is concluded that the moment of inertia would not change in this scenario, as the change in momentum is radial and therefore has no lever arm or external torque.
MCAT35

Homework Statement

Experiement 1:

One student sits on a stool that rotates freely. He holds a 5-kg mass in each hand. Initially, the student has a angular velocity of 5 radians/sec with his arms in his lap.

Question:

In exp 1, with his arms outstretched, the student drops the weights. This will cause the angular velocity of the student to:

answer: remain the same

can someone explain to me why "moment of inertia would not change for the system when the student drops the weight" since Inertia is proportional to mass x r^2 wouldn't a decrease in mass after the weight drop decrease the moment of inertia?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi MCAT35! Welcome to PF! :smile:
MCAT35 said:
can someone explain to me why "moment of inertia would not change for the system when the student drops the weight" since Inertia is proportional to mass x r^2 wouldn't a decrease in mass after the weight drop decrease the moment of inertia?

Forget moment of inertia … it's only a means to an end, and that end is angular momentum …

angular momentum (about an axis) will be constant so long as there is no external torque (about that axis) …

so is there any external torque if

i] he drops the weights
ii] he throws the weights downward
iii] he throws the weights outward
iv] he throws the weights sideways? :wink:

ok, that makes sense,

Thanks Tim and I'm glad to be here! Such an impressive forum!

Gonna try and answer this don't know if they are right. But no external torque about the axis of which he is spinning right?

i] he drops the weights (no, if he spins horizontally, this is an vertical force?)
ii] he throws the weights downward (same logic as 1?)
iii] he throws the weights outward (intuitively, I think this should increase angular momentum.)
iv] he throws the weights sideways? (yes?)

let me know lol..

Hi MCAT35! :smile:

Correct except iii]

(maybe you misunderstood my question? … i meant radially outward)

the change in momentum is radial, so the distance of its line of action from the axis is zero, ie the moment of momentum (same thing as angular momentum) is zero :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi MCAT35! :smile:

Correct except iii]

(maybe you misunderstood my question? … i meant radially outward)

the change in momentum is radial, so the distance of its line of action from the axis is zero, ie the moment of momentum (same thing as angular momentum) is zero :wink:

aha, cool got it. Radially outward = no lever arm (line of action) therefore external torque = 0. ic now, thanks so much!

1. What is the Moment of Inertia?

The moment of inertia is a physical property of a rigid body that determines how difficult it is to change the body's rotational motion around a specific axis. It is often referred to as the rotational equivalent of mass in linear motion.

2. How is the Moment of Inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by summing the products of each particle's mass and its squared distance from the axis of rotation. This can be represented by the formula I = Σmr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the particle, and r is its distance from the axis of rotation. For more complex shapes, the moment of inertia can be calculated by using integration.

3. What is the significance of the Moment of Inertia?

The moment of inertia is an important property in rotational motion as it determines the amount of torque required to produce a certain angular acceleration. It also affects how quickly a rigid body will rotate in response to an applied torque.

4. How does the Moment of Inertia differ from mass?

While mass measures the amount of matter in an object, the moment of inertia measures how the mass is distributed around an axis of rotation. This means that two objects with the same mass can have different moments of inertia depending on their shape and distribution of mass.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Moment of Inertia?

The moment of inertia is used in many engineering and physics applications, such as designing rotating machinery, calculating the stability of structures, and analyzing the motion of objects in space. It is also important in sports, as it affects the performance of objects such as golf clubs, tennis rackets, and gymnastics equipment.