Moment of Inertia: Solid vs Hollow Disk on Incline

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Invictus1017
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Alright, so say I have a solid wood disk, and a hollowed out disk of equal mass.
I roll them both down an incline, which one gets to the bottom first and why?
The scenario is very similar to this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7mxV6f5nuJY



Homework Equations


I = MR ?




The Attempt at a Solution


Something do with moment of inertia i think.

Thanks a lot.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
As you say, the moment of inertia is a crucial factor. You can answer this question quantitatively that is, explicitly calculate the moment of inertia for each disk and then evaluate it's acceleration. An alternative (and much easier) method would be to use the definition of Moment of Inertia for a point particle (I=mr2 not I=mr as you have above), and logical reasoning.

So to start we know that both their masses are equal, using the definition of I that I gave you above, can you make the next step?
 
Last edited:
I'm not sure but, the radius from the center of mass to the axis of the hollow disk is larger than the radius of the solid disk? Resulting in a smaller moment of inertia for the solid disk?
 
Last edited:
Invictus1017 said:
I'm not sure but, the radius from the center of mass to the axis of the hollow disk is larger than the radius of the solid disk? Resulting in a smaller moment of inertia for the solid disk?
Well you conclusion is correct, but your reasoning is wrong. The centre of mass of both disc both lie on the axis of rotation. However, the hollow disc has a greater proportion of its mass located further away from the axis of rotation, thus the moment of inertia is greater. Does that make sense?