1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia tensor of three spheres

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    Hi everyone

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to find out the moment of intertia tensor of the graphic below.

2. Relevant equations

parallel axis theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

We know the moment of inertia for one sphere, that's given, so I don't have to calculate it explicit.Now I have trouble understanding the moment of inertia tensor. It looks like the following:

[tex]I=\begin{pmatrix} I_{xx} & I_{xy} & I_{xz} \\ I_{yx} & I_{yy} & I_{yz} \\ I_{zx} & I_{zy} & I_{zz} \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

I understand that Ixx, Iyy and Izz are the moments of inertia regarding to x y and z but I don't understand what Ixy Ixz Iyz etc. 'means'. I just can't picture it. Furthermore I tried to find the xx yy and zz, I found out :

[tex] I_{xx}=I_{yy}=\frac {54} {5} MR^{2}+9r^{2}m[/tex]

and

[tex]I_{zz}=\frac 4 5 MR^{2}+(R+r)^{2}M[/tex]

But how do I find the xy xz etc. I know I just have to calculate thre more, because the tensor is symmetrical. But I don't know how do to it. Is my solution right thus far?

Thanks for your help

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I take it M is the mass of the large spheres and m is the mass of the small sphere. How did you get 9mr2? Surely, the contribution of the small sphere must also depend on R. Also, you shouldn't have Ixx=Iyy as far as I can see.
    What happened to the small sphere? There's no m in your result.
    Crank out the integrals like
    [tex]I_{xy} = \int xy\,dm[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook