1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inertia tensor for point masses

1. Apr 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three equal point masses, mass M, are located at (a,0,0), (0, a, 2a) and (0, 2a, a). Find the centre of mass for this system. Use symmetry to determine the principle axes of the system and hence find the inertia tensor through the centre of mass. (based on Hand and Finch, Chapter 8 Problem 9).

2. Relevant equations
    $$I_{xx}=\sum_{i} m_i(y_i^2+z_i^2)$$ ,$$I_{xy}=-\sum_{i} m_i x_i y_i$$ and $$\mathbf{R_{CM}}=\frac{\sum_{i} m_i\mathbf{r_i}}{\sum_{i} m_i}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got that the centre of mass was (a/3,a,a) but I'm not sure how to find the principle axes using symmetry as I can't really visualise the 3D setup that well.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Make a drawing!

4. Apr 21, 2017 #3
    I don't get it from the drawing I made either. Oops should've said I did one earlier.

5. Apr 21, 2017 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The three points form a plane, and two of the three points are at equal distances from the center of mass. Both of these allow you to find two of the axes (the second one is a symmetry axis), and the third axis will be perpendicular to both.

6. Apr 22, 2017 #5
    I think I worked it out: Do the principal axes point in the directions (-2,3,3),(3,1,1),(0,1,-1)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted