Moment of Inertia tensor SETUP, not to difficult but cant figure it out

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
m0nk3y
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Moment of Inertia tensor SETUP, not to difficult but can't figure it out

Homework Statement


a) For a cylinder of mass M, radius R and height h, calculate the inertia tensor about the center of mass. What are the principal axes?

Homework Equations



mimg273.gif


The Attempt at a Solution


I need help with setting up the integral. I placed the origin at the center of the cylinder. So and i set my boundaries as = z going from -h/2 to h/2, y going from -R to R and x going from -sqrt(R^2-y^2) to sqrt(R^2-y^2).

However when i integrate Ixx I get zero and I know I am not suppose to. Is there a better choice for my boundaries?? My x boundaries are the problem here because they give me a ugly answer.

Thanks
 
Attachments
  • mimg273.gif
    mimg273.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 633
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to use cylindrical coordinates, this will simplify the problem.
 
so for Ixx will the integral be
r^2sin^2(theta) + h^2 r^2sin(theta)dr d(theta) dz??

thank you
 
Last edited:
Not shperical coordinates, cylindrical ones! :smile:

[tex]x=r\,\cos\phi,\,y=r\,\sin\phi \Rightarrow d\,x\,d\,y\,d\,z=r\,d\,r\,d\,\phi\,d\,z[/tex]

thus [itex]I_{xx}[/itex] reads

[tex]I_{xx}=\int_V \rho(r,\phi,z)\,\left(r^2\,\sin^2\phi+z^2\right)\,r\,d\,r\,d\,\phi\,d\,z[/tex]
 
Last edited:
got it! I feel so dumb spending so much time trying to figure it out in cartesian coord. Thank you so much!