Moment of intertia for rod with weight on one end

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 23K views
smegmaster
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I'm trying to derive the moment of inertia for a long rod with a point-weight on one end (the rod rotates through its midpoint). Could anyone offer any help? I know the formula for the rod is normally (1/2)ML^2, but I'm not sure how the weight on one end alters that.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Add the moment of inertia of the point mass to that of the rod; that will give you the moment of inertia of the entire object.

FYI: I assume you meant that the moment of inertia of a rod about its center is (1/12)ML^2.
 
Doc Al said:
Add the moment of inertia of the point mass to that of the rod; that will give you the moment of inertia of the entire object.

FYI: I assume you meant that the moment of inertia of a rod about its center is (1/12)ML^2.

1/12, right. So I can just add the mass of the extra weight to the rod's moment of intertia?

Thanks for the help.
 
The length of the rod I have is 4.9m, with its mass 10.5kg. Without the weight, the moment of inertial is 21.00875. If the mass of the weight on the end is 5.18kg, would I be correct in saying the new moment of inertia is just 21.00875 + 5.18 = 26.18875kg?
 
smegmaster said:
So I can just add the mass of the extra weight to the rod's moment of intertia?
No. (For one thing, mass and moment of inertia are different kinds of quantities--with different units--so you can't add them.) Add the moment of inertia of the point mass to the rod's moment of inertia. (What's the moment of inertia of a mass about some point?)
 
Ahh, sorry. Moment of inertia for a point is its mass times the square of the radius. Thus the moment of inertia for the weight is 5.18*(4.9/2)^2 = 31.09295, bringing the total moment of inertia to 52.1017. Thanks!