Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum and Energy Conservation of a Space Elevator

1. Jul 16, 2011 #1
    I want to know what exactly is the free-electron laser power beaming system that will be used in our future Space elevator and how the conservation of energy and momentum is associated with this project that NASA will launch. ?

Other info: I am taking grade 12 university level physics;
    All answers are appreciated and thank you all for your assistance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2011 #2
    Is NASA actually trying to engineer a space elevator? I thought the idea was purely theoretical at this point.

4. Jul 16, 2011 #3
    You are right. I worded it wrong. However, NASA did state that this project will be completed in about 15 years

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  5. Jul 17, 2011 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

NASA has stated no such thing. The space elevator is but a fantasy at this point in time.

6. Jul 17, 2011 #5
    NASA did not state; but through an article I found was compiled someone who must be part of NASA? Unless if you think the article has false data:

Check it out: http://www.spaceelevator.com/docs/elevator.pdf [Broken]

On page 2 he does state:
    " Advances in these five areas over the next 10 to 20 years
    will lay the foundation for future space elevator developments"

so sorry for the 15 year part (my mistake)
    but the construction will start after about 20 years
    so its not purely a fantasy right?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Jul 17, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you quote doesn't say anything like that. It says that construct could in as soon as 20 years, not that it will.

8. Jul 17, 2011 #7

yes i realized my mistake and I would edit it but I cannot...

Either way. my main question of 'discussion' was how would the conservation of momentum and energy be applied in a space elevator.

9. Jul 17, 2011 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is it about the elevator that makes you think momentum would not be conserved? Are you referring to the problems of actually getting it in place?

10. Jul 17, 2011 #9
    Its not that I dont think it WONT be conserved but rather I do not understand how?

I mean what do elastic collisions got to do with an elevator that will move up in a very powerful electromagnetic field(i think).

11. Jul 17, 2011 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Who said anything about elastic collisions? You're going to need to be a lot more specific about what you are asking - we're not mind readers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook