Momentum, Impulse, and Collision

In summary, two skaters standing in the center of a circular rink of frictionless ice move apart along the same straight line when they push on each other. The skater of mass m1 = 50 kg reaches the edge of the rink after 12 seconds and the other skater reaches the opposite edge in 18 seconds. The mass of the second skater, m2, can be found by setting the distances traveled by each skater equal to each other. Solving for m2 gives a result of 75 kg, regardless of considering the initial velocity and force. Therefore, the mass of the second skater is 75 kg.
Tastosis

Homework Statement

Two skaters stand in the center of a circular rink of frictionless ice. When the skaters push on one another, they move apart along the same straight line. If the skater of mass m1 = 50 kg reaches the edge of the rink after 12 seconds and the other skater reaches the opposite edge of the rink in 18 seconds, what is the mass m2 of the second skater?

Homework Equations

M1V1 + M2V1 = M1V2 + M2V2 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I get the mass if the distance is not given?

Physics news on Phys.org
They traveled the same distance.Find the ratio of the speeds.

ehild

I'm confused >.<

So the equation I'm using is wrong?

no there is no problem with the equation.
let the distance moved be x and then solve. It will get cancelled.

50kg * x/12s+ M2 * x/18s = 50kg * x/12s + M2 * x/18s ?

Tastosis said:
I'm confused >.<

So the equation I'm using is wrong?

It is not wrong, only it does not mean anything. Both sides are identical, so you say that something is equal with itself. What did you want to state with that equation?

ehild

50kg (1/12s) + M2 (1/18s) = 0

M2 = [50kg (1/12s)] / 1/18s

M2 = 75kg

Did I do it right?

Tastosis said:
50kg (1/12s) + M2 (1/18s) = 0

M2 = [50kg (1/12s)] / 1/18s

M2 = 75kg

Did I do it right?

You made two mistakes and they canceled each other resulting in a correct mass. Your equation would result in a negative mass.

The skaters moved in opposite directions, one velocity is positive, the other is negative. So the correct equation is

m1 x/12 - m2 x/18 =0

Solving the equation correctly,

m1/12 = m2/18 , m2=m1 18/12 = 75 kg.

ehild

do we also have to consider the initial velocity and the amount of force pushed in a given time interval of 6 seconds?

I do not get you. There is no question concerning the force between the skaters, setting them to move. It is assumed in such problems that the force acts for a very short time so the skaters are still very near to their original position when they are separated and move with some velocity. The difference between the times reaching the plank (6 s) comes from the different speeds the skaters move. ehild

I was referring to the fact that Force times Time differenc is equal to the change in momentum. So, maybe you need to find initial velocity through that.

Rayquesto said:
I was referring to the fact that Force times Time differenc is equal to the change in momentum. So, maybe you need to find initial velocity through that.

Read the problem: "Two skaters stand in the center of a circular rink" What is the initial velocity?

ehild

Orginially I got 75 kg doing exactly what everyone else is doing, but I tried considering their small force. I know the answer is 75kg but I'm still skeptical about how like a reverse impulse can be tied into. that\s how my mind works though. I try to consider everything, but I still think the answer is 75 kg regaurdless of my skeptics.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is a product of an object's mass and velocity, and it is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is impulse?

Impulse is a change in momentum. It is equal to the force applied to an object multiplied by the time it is applied. In other words, it is a measure of how much a force changes an object's momentum.

3. How are momentum and impulse related?

Momentum and impulse are closely related because impulse is the cause of a change in momentum. In fact, the impulse-momentum theorem states that the impulse applied to an object is equal to the change in its momentum.

4. What is meant by a collision?

A collision occurs when two or more objects come into contact with each other and exchange momentum. There are two types of collisions: elastic, where the total kinetic energy is conserved, and inelastic, where some of the kinetic energy is lost.

5. How is conservation of momentum applied in collisions?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the total momentum of the objects involved in a collision will remain constant, even if their individual momentums change.