Momentum/Impulse homework question

• Thread starter koonts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, a 46.5 kg kid on roller blades pushed on a wall with a coefficient of friction of 0.125, causing him to start rolling away from the wall. After rolling for 0.460 seconds and coming to rest 14.3 m away from the wall, the average force exerted on the wall was 26.20 N. This was found by calculating the impulse, which is equal to the force applied multiplied by the time of the push. The change in momentum of the kid was not zero, as he went from having no speed to having some nonzero speed after pushing off the wall. To find the force applied, the change in momentum and time of the push can be used in the formula J =
koonts

Homework Statement

A 46.5 kg kid on roller blades pushes as hard as he can on a wall which causes him to start rolling away from the wall. At this point, friction begins to slow him down and he comes to rest 14.3 m from the wall. The coefficient of friction is 0.125. If his push lasted 0.460 s, how hard did he push on the wall (in Newtons)?

Rough diagram:
PAxhj.png

2. The attempt at a solution

J = Δ p
fΔt = mv2 - mv1 (mv2 = 0, since v2 is 0)
v1 = (Fft)/(-46.5)
v1 = -0.563 m/s **

Ff = μFn
=(0.125)(46.5)(9.8)
= 56.96N ( **I substituted this value to Ff in the (Fft)/(-46.5) equation to find v1)

a = v2 - v1 (v2 = 0)
t​
a =0.563
0.460​
a= 1.225 m/s2

Fnet = ma
= (46.5)(1.225)
= 56.96N
Therefore, the average force exerted on the wall is 56.96N(BKWD)?

I tried doing this problem today but I feel that the answer is wrong(doesn't make sense) and that I made a mistake. Any help would greatly be appreciated :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like all your calculations are for the period during which the kid is rolling. I.e., the acceleration you found is due to friction, not the force of the wall (in fact, at this point he's already let go of the wall)

JaWiB said:
It looks like all your calculations are for the period during which the kid is rolling. I.e., the acceleration you found is due to friction, not the force of the wall (in fact, at this point he's already let go of the wall)

So what do I need to change/add?

I understand what you are telling me, but I don't know what do I do

His initial momentum is zero (I guess), when he's done pushing on the wall, he has the velocity that you calculated. So what's the impulse?

JaWiB said:
His initial momentum is zero (I guess), when he's done pushing on the wall, he has the velocity that you calculated. So what's the impulse?

Impulse = Δ p
and since Δ p = 0, then J = Ff x t which is 56.96 x 0.460 which gives you 26.20 N.s

What do I do with the impulse value that I got?

Last edited:
Bump, can anyone help me out here?

Why did you say the change in momentum is zero? Before he pushes off the wall, he has no speed, and after he has some nonzero speed and therefore nonzero momentum. And if the change in momentum were zero, then J = 0.

J = F_push * t_push

You have t_push, you can calculate J from the change in momentum (which you can find using the velocity you calculated) so then you just have to solve for F_push

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measurement of the quantity of motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How is momentum different from velocity?

Velocity is a measurement of an object's speed and direction of motion, while momentum takes into account the object's mass as well.

3. What is the equation for calculating momentum?

The equation for momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

4. How does an object's mass affect its momentum?

An object with a larger mass will have a greater momentum than an object with a smaller mass, assuming they have the same velocity.

5. How is impulse related to momentum?

Impulse is the change in an object's momentum and is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the time it is applied.