1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum of colliding billard balls

1. Jul 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A white billiard ball with mass mw = 1.43 kg is moving directly to the right with a speed of v = 3.29 m/s and collides elastically with a black billiard ball with the same mass mb = 1.43 kg that is initially at rest. The two collide elastically and the white ball ends up moving at an angle above the horizontal of θw = 21° and the black ball ends up moving at an angle below the horizontal of θb = 69°.
    http://smartphysics.com/images/content/mechanics/ch12/billiardballsnew2.png [Broken]

I need to find the final speeds of the balls.

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of momentum

3. The attempt at a solution

What I tried already was having initial momentum equal to final momentum. And then splitting it into x and y components and solving for the unknown velocities and got 1.4 for the black one and 3.66 for the white one. I'm not sure where I went wrong. Please help.

Here is some of my work:
    Since masses cancel out, I have
    for X: 3.92 + 0 = Vwcos21 + Vbcos69
    for y: 0 = Vwsin21 - Vbsin69
    Then solved for Vb, which I got 1.4, but it's wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your method is fine. You just swapped two digits in the initial velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook