1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum question -- A boy drops a box while sliding on ice...

1. Mar 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A boy is holding a box and moving at a constant velocity of 2m/s on ice. The masses of the boy and the box are 40kg and 2kg respectively.Then the boy drops the box. What is the momentum of the boy just after dropping the box? Assume that the friction between the boy and the ice is negligible.
    2. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried to apply the conservation of momentum (m1u1+m2u2=m1v1+m2v2)
    (40+2)(2)=2(0)+40v then v=84 kgms-1, but the correct answer should be 80kgms-1

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2016 #2
    after dropping the box -what is the velocity of the boy and the box ?

4. Mar 22, 2016 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Notice what the question is asking for:

What did you find the momentum to in your work?

5. Mar 22, 2016 #4
    The question didn't mention about that, but from my understanding, the velocity of the box after the drop should be 0ms-1

6. Mar 22, 2016 #5

Drakkith

The velocity of the box before being dropped was 2 m/s. After being dropped, was there any acceleration in the horizontal direction to change its velocity?

7. Mar 22, 2016 #6
    hmmm I guess there isn't any.

8. Mar 23, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just to be accurate about this, what happens after letting go the box is irrelevant to the boy's momentum. The question that needs asking is what horizontal force, if any, caused the box to go from 2m/s to 0m/s as the boy released it.

9. Mar 23, 2016 #8
    Madame, I don't really think that velocity of the box is zero. Imagine that you are holding a lipstick, you go through a hole but you accidentally drop your favorite lipstick. Thanks to physics, it has your velocity instead of zero. Your lipstick survives ! If you release an object while you are having velocity, that object will have the same velocity as you.

10. Mar 23, 2016 #9
    I think that in this circumstance, we don't need another horizontal force because OP didn't mention about it

11. Mar 23, 2016 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You seem to misunderstand the point that Drakkith and I are making. Yes, we know there is no horizontal force. Our point is that in the absence of a horizontal force the box's velocity cannot change.

12. Mar 23, 2016 #11
    Oh my god, I remembered writing three replies and now two left

13. Mar 23, 2016 #12

Drakkith

I had to remove it since it contained the answer to the question. My apologies, I should have put that in the message I sent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted