Momentum question -- A boy drops a box while sliding on ice....

In summary, the conversation discusses the momentum of a boy carrying a box on ice and dropping the box. The correct momentum of the boy just after dropping the box is 80kgms-1, and the velocity of the box after being dropped is 0ms-1. There is no horizontal force causing the box's velocity to change, and its velocity cannot change in the absence of a horizontal force.
kellyxx

Homework Statement

A boy is holding a box and moving at a constant velocity of 2m/s on ice. The masses of the boy and the box are 40kg and 2kg respectively.Then the boy drops the box. What is the momentum of the boy just after dropping the box? Assume that the friction between the boy and the ice is negligible.
2. The attempt at a solution
I've tried to apply the conservation of momentum (m1u1+m2u2=m1v1+m2v2)
(40+2)(2)=2(0)+40v then v=84 kgms-1, but the correct answer should be 80kgms-1

Likes Israt afroz
Physics news on Phys.org
kellyxx said:
What is the momentum of the boy just after dropping the box? Assume that the friction between the boy and the ice is negligible.
after dropping the box -what is the velocity of the boy and the box ?

Notice what the question is asking for:

kellyxx said:
What is the momentum of the boy just after dropping the box?

What did you find the momentum to in your work?

drvrm said:
after dropping the box -what is the velocity of the boy and the box ?
The question didn't mention about that, but from my understanding, the velocity of the box after the drop should be 0ms-1

kellyxx said:
The question didn't mention about that, but from my understanding, the velocity of the box after the drop should be 0ms-1

The velocity of the box before being dropped was 2 m/s. After being dropped, was there any acceleration in the horizontal direction to change its velocity?

Drakkith said:
The velocity of the box before being dropped was 2 m/s. After being dropped, was there any acceleration in the horizontal direction to change its velocity?
hmmm I guess there isn't any.

Drakkith said:
Just to be accurate about this, what happens after letting go the box is irrelevant to the boy's momentum. The question that needs asking is what horizontal force, if any, caused the box to go from 2m/s to 0m/s as the boy released it.

Madame, I don't really think that velocity of the box is zero. Imagine that you are holding a lipstick, you go through a hole but you accidentally drop your favorite lipstick. Thanks to physics, it has your velocity instead of zero. Your lipstick survives ! If you release an object while you are having velocity, that object will have the same velocity as you.

haruspex said:
Just to be accurate about this, what happens after letting go the box is irrelevant to the boy's momentum. The question that needs asking is what horizontal force, if any, caused the box to go from 2m/s to 0m/s as the boy released it.
I think that in this circumstance, we don't need another horizontal force because OP didn't mention about it

The Vinh said:
I think that in this circumstance, we don't need another horizontal force because OP didn't mention about it
You seem to misunderstand the point that Drakkith and I are making. Yes, we know there is no horizontal force. Our point is that in the absence of a horizontal force the box's velocity cannot change.

Oh my god, I remembered writing three replies and now two left

The Vinh said:
Oh my god, I remembered writing three replies and now two left

I had to remove it since it contained the answer to the question. My apologies, I should have put that in the message I sent.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measurement of an object's motion, specifically its mass and velocity. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How is momentum affected by an object's mass and velocity?

As an object's mass or velocity increases, its momentum also increases.

3. What happens to momentum when an object is dropped?

When an object is dropped, its momentum remains constant until it reaches the ground. This is because the object's mass and velocity do not change while it is falling.

4. How does sliding on ice affect momentum?

Sliding on ice reduces the friction between the object and the ground, which decreases the object's velocity. As a result, the object's momentum also decreases.

5. Can momentum be transferred from one object to another?

Yes, momentum can be transferred from one object to another through collisions or other interactions. In the scenario of a boy dropping a box while sliding on ice, the box's momentum is transferred to the ground when it hits, causing the box to come to a stop and the ground to gain momentum.