1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum-space detection of an Electron (EWP)

1. Apr 8, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Momentum-space detection of an Electron (EWP)

I know there have been plenty of questions about electrons, momentum, and wave packets recently - but my question is distinct (and comes with a picture!).

Question: If you ionize an atom and detect the resulting free electron wave packet, how should it appear in momentum space?

My understanding is that the spacially-localized electron wave packet (EWP) that is born during ionization will be of a Gaussian shape, due to:

[tex]\Psi(x,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}} \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}{\phi(p)e^{i(px - Et)/\hbar} dp[/tex]

and that it will spread as it moves away from the ion and towards the detector. But won't the detector still process it as either a delta function or a Gaussian (in position space)? And if so, why isn't the resulting detection in momentum space a Gaussian (the Fourier Transform)?

The picture below is of an EWP that was single photon ionized by an XUV attosecond pulse. It looks to me like a "Sinc" function, which means that in position space it would be a rectangular function. This is without scattering (off of the ion core). My question really is why does this picture look like this? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2
    Oh, nevermind!

I found a paper that derives the final (drift) momentum as

[tex]p(t_{0}) = \frac{e E}{\omega} [cos(\omega t_{0}) + \gamma][/tex]

which is effectively a sinc function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?