Momentum vectors graph ( from aqa paper)

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the resultant vector using a specific method involving the origin point and momentum. It was confirmed that this method is correct for finding the direction of any resultant vector, as long as the angle of collision remains the same. The answer was determined to be B by moving the initial vector to make it negative.
bonbon22
Homework Statement
The diagram shows a gas particle about to collide elastically with a wall. box
Which diagram shows the correct change in momentum ∆mv that occurs during the
collision?
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2018/june/AQA-74082-QP-JUN18.PDF
question 12 on the multiple choice section
B
Relevant Equations
none
If i were to take one point as my origin and draw the two momentum, one for the initial collestion and one going from the wall after, from the origin point, then drawing horizontally i would get the answer as B as the resultant? Should i assume that for any resultant vector the direction can be found in a similar way ? Just want to make sure my train of thought is correct on this.
the answer is B

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your answer is correct. If angle of collision with the normal initially is theta. When it bounces back off, it is also theta. We need to move the initial vector to make it negative and we get diagram B

1. What is a momentum vector graph?

A momentum vector graph is a graphical representation of an object's momentum over time. It shows the direction and magnitude of an object's momentum as it changes over a period of time.

2. How is momentum calculated on a momentum vector graph?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. On a momentum vector graph, the area under the curve represents the object's momentum.

3. What does the slope of a momentum vector graph represent?

The slope of a momentum vector graph represents the object's acceleration. A steeper slope indicates a higher acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a lower acceleration.

4. What is the difference between a positive and negative slope on a momentum vector graph?

A positive slope on a momentum vector graph indicates that the object is gaining momentum, while a negative slope indicates that the object is losing momentum.

5. How can a momentum vector graph be used to analyze collisions?

A momentum vector graph can be used to analyze collisions by comparing the momentum before and after the collision. The total momentum before the collision should be equal to the total momentum after the collision, allowing for the calculation of the objects' velocities before and after the collision.