Why does my derivation give W = mv² instead of KE = 1/2mv²?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Zula110100100
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Zula110100100
Messages
250
Reaction score
0
I am confused about the KE = 1/2mv2

I was able to get v2=2as from it, by removing mass from each side you get as = 1/2v2 then rearrange, but I was trying to relate momentum and work in my head, and since p = mv than KE = 1/2 p * v

but starting with Work = F * s

and since s = vt

Work = F*vt

then solve for time t = W/Fv

and p = mv
v = at
so p = mat

so p = Ft(assuming no original momentum)

substitute for t and

p = FW/Fv

p = W/v

W = pv

W = mv2

So what am I doing wrong? because mv2 does not equals 1/2mv2

I was thinking maybe because I am not using t0 and v0, but it doesn't seem like that's it, it seems the only way is with the 2as but it should tie back in somewhere...

and even working backwards from KE = 1/2mv2
Fvt = 1/2pv
devide by V and multiply by 2
and p = 2 F*t
p = 2 m*a*t
p = 2 mv
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Zula110100100 said:
and since s = vt
Since the speed is not constant, you need to use the average velocity when calculating distance. In the KE formula, the v is the final speed.
 
Oh, okay, so it kinda has to do with not using v0[\SUB]...and the like
 
Zula110100100 said:
Oh, okay, so it kinda has to do with not using v0[\SUB]...and the like

Right. For the simple case of a constant force applied to an object initially at rest (v0 = 0), we'll have vave = v/2. So:
W = F*s = F*v/2*t = (F*t)*v/2 = (mv)*v/2 = 1/2mv2. As expected.