Monopole and Dipole Terms of Electric potential (V) on Half Disk

In summary, monopole and dipole terms of electric potential are different components of the overall potential at a point. On a half disk, both terms contribute to the potential and can be separated using the multipole expansion. The dipole term represents the contribution from external charges and decreases more rapidly as the distance from the center increases.
jkthejetplane
Homework Statement
So this is from my last exam. I wanted to figure this out as we can get some credit back on a question plus finals are coming up.
Relevant Equations
On my attached attempt you can see the equations I use as well as a few of the professor's notes
1620355208822.png
1620355244489.png
1620355622420.png

1620355671073.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate potential on the z axis in terms of a Legendre polynomials. Then the off axis expansion will follow.

1. What is a monopole in terms of electric potential?

A monopole in terms of electric potential refers to a single point charge that creates an electric field. It is also known as a point charge or a scalar charge.

2. What is a dipole in terms of electric potential?

A dipole in terms of electric potential refers to two equal and opposite point charges that are separated by a small distance. This creates an electric field that is stronger near the charges and weaker in between them.

3. How is electric potential calculated on a half disk?

To calculate the electric potential on a half disk, you can use the equation V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the disk, and r is the distance from the center of the disk to the point where the potential is being measured.

4. How does the electric potential vary on a half disk?

The electric potential on a half disk varies depending on the distance from the center of the disk. It is strongest near the center and decreases as you move away from the center.

5. What is the significance of understanding the monopole and dipole terms of electric potential on a half disk?

Understanding the monopole and dipole terms of electric potential on a half disk is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and how they interact with charges. It also helps in calculating the electric potential at different points on the disk, which can be useful in various applications such as in designing electrical circuits and devices.