More Football Projectile Motion

In summary, the kicker needs to kick the ball at an angle that will allow it to reach a maximum height of 225.05m, plus the height of the uprights (3.048m), for it to go through the uprights. Using the given equations and a velocity of 38.4m/s, the time it takes for the ball to reach the ground can be calculated. From there, the distance traveled by the ball in yards can be determined.
coffeeandativ

Homework Statement

A kicker is trying to kick a field goal. The uprights are 3.048m off the ground.
a)At what angle must he kick the ball to ensure the ball goes through the uprights if he kicks it at a velocity of 38.4/s (assume the uprights are at the peak of the ball)?
b) how many yards was the field goal (1yard = 0.914m)

Homework Equations

vix= vicostheta
viy= visintheha
vf=vi+at
max height= vi+1/2at^2
t= 2d divided by acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equations above I found vix and viy to be
vix=38.4costhetha
viy=38.4 sintheta
to find the time I divided vi by acceleration to get 3.91s then I calculated the max heiight to ground and got 225.05m as an answer, then I added 3.048m to this to get a total of 228.10369m

From this point on I'm unsure how to figure out if the ball went thru, how to find the angle, and how to calculate the yards.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the height of the uprights, you know the ball trajectory tops at the uprights, so calculate the time a ball takes when free falling from there and the speed at ground.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the curved path that an object follows when thrown or launched into the air. It is affected by gravity and air resistance, and can be described using mathematical equations such as the projectile motion formula.

2. How does projectile motion relate to football?

Football projectile motion refers to the trajectory of a football when it is kicked, thrown, or passed by a player. The motion of the football can be analyzed and predicted using the principles of projectile motion.

3. What factors affect the projectile motion of a football?

The projectile motion of a football can be affected by various factors such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravitational force. Other factors like wind speed and direction can also have an impact on the football's trajectory.

4. How can projectile motion be used in football?

Projectile motion can be used in football to analyze and improve techniques such as passing, punting, and kicking. Coaches and players can use the principles of projectile motion to understand the trajectory of the ball and make adjustments accordingly to improve their performance.

5. Are there any real-life applications of football projectile motion?

Yes, the principles of projectile motion are not only applicable to football but also to other sports like baseball, basketball, and tennis. In addition, projectile motion is used in fields such as engineering, military, and physics to understand and predict the motion of objects in the air.