Projectile Motion: Football Thrown at Moving Receiver

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
coffeeandativ
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A football player throws a football at a player who is 10m away. The football is fired at 20m/s at 30degrees above the horizontal. If the receiver is running straight away from the quarterback at
12.25m/s will he catch the football (assuming the ball is caught at the same height as it is thrown from)?


Homework Equations


vix=vcostheta
viy= vsinthetha
range= vi^2(sinthetha)^2 divided by the acceleration
vf=vi+at
delta x= vit+1/2at^2


The Attempt at a Solution


Using the equations I wrote above this is what I managed to solve so far.
vix=17.32ms
viy= 10ms
to find the time I used vf=vi+at and I got 2.04s which I substituted into the delta x equation to get a total of 61m.

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track to solving this problem or not, any help would be great. Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear how you've used the equations that you give to find the values that you state. Perhaps you could lay out your calculations in a bit more detail?
 
What is the condition (in terms of the physics) that must apply in order for their to be a catch?

AM