More frustrating force problems,

• Thread starter chimez14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, for the first question, you need to find the sum of forces in the y direction to calculate the normal force exerted on the chair. For the second question, you need to consider the acceleration and Newton's second law to find the average force exerted on the ground by the person's feet while he is slowing down.
chimez14
More frustrating force problems, please help!

Homework Statement

1.)A chair of mass 10.1 kg is sitting on the horizontal floor; the floor is not frictionless. You push on the chair with a force of 47.7 N that is directed at an angle of 39.6 degrees below the horizontal and the chair slides along the floor. Calculate the normal force that the floor exerts on the chair

2.)A 87.7 kg man steps off a platform 2.89 m above the ground. He keeps his legs straight as he falls, but at the moment his feet touch the ground his knees begin to bend, and, treated as a particle, he moves an additional 0.60 m before coming to rest. Treating our rigid legged friend as a particle, what is the average force his feet exert on the ground while he slows down?

Note: Assume the acceleration while he is slowing down is constant

Homework Equations

For Question 1
u nid to find the sum of forces in the x and y directions respectively
for question 2
remember gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

i drew a free body diagram, i suggest u do d samem maybe there was a flaw in mine.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question, you don't really need to consider the forces in the x direction. What does your FBD look like for the y directions? This should be enough to sum up the forces.

For question 2 you need to consider the acceleration that's exerted on the person to make him stop in the given distance, and remember Newton's second law.

Hello there,

I understand that you are struggling with some force problems and are seeking help. I can offer some guidance and tips to help you solve these problems.

For the first problem, it is important to draw a free body diagram, as you mentioned. This will help you visualize all the forces acting on the chair. Remember to break the force into its x and y components, as this will make it easier to solve for the normal force. You can also use the equation F=ma to help you find the normal force.

For the second problem, it is important to remember that the man is treated as a particle, meaning we can use the equations of motion to solve for the average force exerted by his feet on the ground. Again, drawing a free body diagram and breaking the forces into their components will be helpful. And don't forget to consider the effects of gravity!

If you are still struggling, I suggest breaking down the problems into smaller steps and writing out all the given information and equations you can use. This will help you organize your thoughts and approach the problems systematically.

I hope this helps and good luck with your homework! Remember, practice makes perfect.

Related to More frustrating force problems,

1. What is a frustrating force problem?

A frustrating force problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on an object in a given scenario. These problems can be frustrating because they often require multiple steps and use complex equations.

2. Why are force problems important in science?

Force problems are important in science because they help us understand how objects move and interact with each other. They also allow us to make predictions about the behavior of objects in different situations.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for force problems?

To improve your problem-solving skills for force problems, it is important to understand the basic principles of forces, such as Newton's laws of motion. Practice solving different types of force problems and break them down into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving force problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving force problems include not considering all the forces acting on an object, using the wrong equations or units, and not drawing accurate free body diagrams. It is important to double-check your work and make sure all calculations are correct.

5. How can I apply force problems to real-life situations?

Force problems can be applied to real-life situations in many ways, such as understanding the forces acting on a car while driving, calculating the forces needed to lift an object, or determining the forces involved in a sports game. By understanding forces, we can better understand and predict the behavior of objects in our everyday lives.