1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More intro abstract algebra problems

1. Sep 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Define the set Q[√2] to be the set {a + b√2 | a, b are rationals}, and define addition and multiplication as "usual" (so 2×4 = 8, 2 + 4 = 6, you know, the usual). Show that for any nonzero A in the set Q[√2], there exists an inverse element so that A×A-1 = 1Q[√2].

There is a hint saying that I'll need the fact that √2 is irrational. He asks "where" will I need this fact?

2. Relevant equations

--

3. The attempt at a solution

So I proved that the number 1 itself is the multiplicative identity, and it is also definitely in this set Q[√2]. Now I need to show that there exists an inverse of A so that A×A-1 = 1. And of course A-1 must also be an element of Q[√2].

so let q = a + b√2, then find q-1 = c + d√2 so that

(a + b√2)(c + d√2) = 1.

So we have
    ac + ad√2 + cb√2 + 2bd = 1
    ac + 2bd + (ad + cb)√2 = 1.

Since √2 is irrational, α + β√2 = 1 implies α = 1, β = 0. This is where i need the fact that √2 is irrational (although i needed it to show 1 = 1Q[√2])

So ad + cb = 0 and ac + 2bd = 1. But how do show that solutions must always exist for these two equations, if I only have two equations but four unknowns? Am i even on the right track here?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This appears to be a fairly advanced class so surely you are already familiar with "rationalizing the denominator"! If [itex]x= 1/(a+b\sqrt{2})[/itex] then
    [tex]x= \dfrac{1}{a+ b\sqrt{2}}\dfrac{a-b\sqrt{2}}{(a- b\sqrt{2}}= \dfrac{a- b\sqrt{2}}{a^2- 2b^2}[/tex]
    Of course, both [itex]a/(a^2- 2b^2)[/itex] and [itex]-b/(a^2- 2b^2)[/itex] are rational as long as [itex]a^2- 2b^2[/itex] is not 0! That is the part that requires that [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] not be rational.

4. Sep 20, 2013 #3
    Of course, the first thing i thought it was the reciprocal, but sometimes I get so worked up in these so-called "advanced" courses that i forget such simple things i learned in high school. I guess it's time i put it all together.

Thanks very much for your help, HallsofIvy!

Edit: while this may be an advanced class, the stuff we are doing is far from advanced!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted