1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Low Level Abstract Algebra Question

1. Oct 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ab=a and ba=b, show that a^2 = a and that b^2 = b

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not sure if I did this correct.. but here is what I did.

Given:
    ab = a. Multiply both by left hand multiplication by a^-1
    a^-1*a*b = 1. where a^-1*a is obviously the identity.
    so b = 1.

Given:
    ba = b. Multiply both by left hand multiplication by b^-1.
    b^-1*b*a = 1
    1a=1
    a=1
    so a =1.

If b = 1 and a=1, then b^2 = 1 and a^2 = 1, so a^2 = a and b^2 = 2. Did I do this correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2014 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

What if you combined them. a=ab and b=ba.
    ab=abba, ba=baab.
    Can you do anything with those?
    (Edit) Or maybe other combinations might work to show the point.

4. Oct 27, 2014 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What kind of algebraic structure are you dealing with? If it's a group under multiplication then it's as easy as you say. If it's not a group (and I suspect it's not) then you'd better tell us.

5. Oct 27, 2014 #4
    If ##a## and ##b## are elements of a ring, then there is no guarantee they have multiplicative inverses. So you can't necessarily do what you did. For example, take ##R## to be the ring of ##2\times2## matrices with $$a=\begin{pmatrix}1&1\\0&0\end{pmatrix}\ \text{ and }\ b=\begin{pmatrix}0&0\\1&1\end{pmatrix}$$ You get ##ab=a## and ##ba=b##, but neither matrix is invertible, and neither is the identity.

I recommend you start with ##a^2=abab## and ##b^2=baba## and see if you can't use ##ab=a## and ##ba=b## to whittle down the right-hand sides of those equalities until you're left with what you need.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted