Low Level Abstract Algebra Question

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that if ab = a and ba = b, then a^2 = a and b^2 = b. The attempt at a solution involves using algebraic manipulations and properties to try and prove the desired result. However, it is mentioned that if the elements are in a ring, there is no guarantee that they have multiplicative inverses, so the method used may not always work. Alternative approaches, such as starting with a^2 = abab and b^2 = baba, are suggested.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Let ab=a and ba=b, show that a^2 = a and that b^2 = b

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure if I did this correct.. but here is what I did.

Given:
ab = a. Multiply both by left hand multiplication by a^-1
a^-1*a*b = 1. where a^-1*a is obviously the identity.
so b = 1.

Given:
ba = b. Multiply both by left hand multiplication by b^-1.
b^-1*b*a = 1
1a=1
a=1
so a =1.

If b = 1 and a=1, then b^2 = 1 and a^2 = 1, so a^2 = a and b^2 = 2. Did I do this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
What if you combined them. a=ab and b=ba.
ab=abba, ba=baab.
Can you do anything with those?
(Edit) Or maybe other combinations might work to show the point.

PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

none

Given:
so b = 1.

Given:
b^-1*b*a = 1
1a=1
a=1
so a =1.

If b = 1 and a=1, then b^2 = 1 and a^2 = 1, so a^2 = a and b^2 = 2. Did I do this correctly?

What kind of algebraic structure are you dealing with? If it's a group under multiplication then it's as easy as you say. If it's not a group (and I suspect it's not) then you'd better tell us.

PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

none

Given:
so b = 1.

Given:
b^-1*b*a = 1
1a=1
a=1
so a =1.

If ##a## and ##b## are elements of a ring, then there is no guarantee they have multiplicative inverses. So you can't necessarily do what you did. For example, take ##R## to be the ring of ##2\times2## matrices with $$a=\begin{pmatrix}1&1\\0&0\end{pmatrix}\ \text{ and }\ b=\begin{pmatrix}0&0\\1&1\end{pmatrix}$$ You get ##ab=a## and ##ba=b##, but neither matrix is invertible, and neither is the identity.

I recommend you start with ##a^2=abab## and ##b^2=baba## and see if you can't use ##ab=a## and ##ba=b## to whittle down the right-hand sides of those equalities until you're left with what you need.

1. What is Low Level Abstract Algebra?

Low Level Abstract Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields, at a more basic level. It focuses on the fundamental concepts and properties of these structures, rather than more advanced topics.

2. Why is Low Level Abstract Algebra important?

Low Level Abstract Algebra is important because it provides a foundation for understanding and solving more complex algebraic problems. It also has applications in various fields of science, such as computer science, physics, and engineering.

3. What are some examples of Low Level Abstract Algebra structures?

Some examples of Low Level Abstract Algebra structures include groups, rings, fields, vector spaces, and algebras. These structures have specific properties and operations that are studied in Low Level Abstract Algebra.

4. What skills are needed to study Low Level Abstract Algebra?

To study Low Level Abstract Algebra, one should have a strong background in basic algebra and a good understanding of mathematical proofs. Familiarity with abstract concepts and notation is also helpful.

5. How can Low Level Abstract Algebra be applied in real life?

Low Level Abstract Algebra has various applications in real life, such as in cryptography, coding theory, and error-correcting codes. It is also used in fields like robotics, computer vision, and artificial intelligence for solving problems involving symmetry and transformations.