1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More than just a momentum problem

1. Feb 21, 2007 #1
    When a bullet traveling at 721 m/s strikes a block of wood originally at rest on a frictionless surface, the bullet emerges from the other side of the block of wood traveling at 349 m/s. If the mass of the bullet is 5.38 g and the mass of the block is 744 g, what is the speed of the block after the collision?

I don't know what to do, I tried doing m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2', and I couldn't get the answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

But this is "just" a conservation of momentum problem, so that should work. Show exactly what you did. What values did you use?

4. Feb 21, 2007 #3
    I did the following:

(0.0058kg)(721 m/s) - (0.0058kg)(349m/s) \ 0.744 kg

and that didnt work

and thnks for the fast reply

5. Feb 21, 2007 #4

Doc Al

That looks perfectly OK to me:
    Speed of block = [(0.0058kg)(721 m/s) - (0.0058kg)(349m/s)]/(0.744 kg)

Check your arithmetic; perhaps you made an error there.

6. Feb 26, 2007 #5
    I have tried that many many times, are you sure there arent any tricks to this question or something you have overlooked?

7. Feb 26, 2007 #6

Doc Al

This is as straightforward a momentum conservation problem as you are likely to find. What answer did you get and why do you think it's wrong?

8. Feb 26, 2007 #7
    I got it, it was just a calculational error. Thanks for the clarification!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?