Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More than two terminals on cell phone battery

1. Oct 5, 2007 #1
    Most batteries have only two terminals with symbols ''+'' and ''-''. I uderstand the function of two terminals. But almost all the cell phone batteries I have seen have more than two terminals. What is the reason for having more than two terminals? Please check this link:

Best wishes,
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Usually a temperature sensor ( check if one terminal is marked 'T' )
    one way of charging these batteries is to just supply current and monitor the internal temperature rise - then back off the current to keep it in control.
  4. Oct 5, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My cordless phone has 3 terminals. The two outer terminals are common to each other. This way I can place the hanset on the cradle either face-up or face down.

Your 4 terminals might be so it can accept different chargers/phones. Or perhaps a discharge pair and a charge pair. I'm only guessing.
  5. Oct 5, 2007 #4

Science Advisor

Some batteries also allow connections to each individual cell (or some subset of them) to allow for more careful monitoring and charging. I don't know if this is common for cell phone batteries, though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?