1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Morh's Cicle with two shear forces

1. Sep 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

click on link for picture of problem
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/DrGame/morhs.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I'm just really confused because you have two torques, and you can't draw morh's circle that way.. I've tried about 3 hours of various things, but I can not get this to make sense.. can I have a hint what to do with the toques?

I've tried adding them, averaging them out..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2007 #2
    What do you mean by torques?

Take a square element and draw all the shear and normal forces on it. Pay attention to which sign convention that you are using in your course.

Start out by calculating the normal and shear stresses for each side (sigma x, sigma y, and tau xy). You are given the forces and dimensions. Once you have those, you will have the coordinates for the mohr circle.

This mohr circle part is difficult for me to assist you, because there are different sign conventions for this topic.

4. Oct 1, 2007 #3
    If you can get the sigmax and y, and tau xy.....I can help with the mohr's circle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?