Some pictures I've taken of some samples

• Thread starter snowJT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pictures
In summary, the 1095 has a smoother fracture surface than cast iron, but it requires more energy to break.
snowJT
I've included some pictures I've taken of some samples I've broken.. and 1095 steel has a more finer surface than ductile cast iron, and cast iron, however, it is not as brittle..

I would of thought that the more brittle the material was the more cleaner the break... but... anyone have an explanation of this?

Pictures

1095 - impact 2ft lbs

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/DrGame/1095steel.jpg

ductile cast iron - impact 2 ft lbs

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/DrGame/ductilecastiron.jpg

cast iron - impact 1 ft lbs

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/DrGame/castiron.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the magnification on those pics? And what do the left and right represent?

oh sorry, well the actual specimen is from a charpy test, the material has a cross section of 1x1 cm, and the left and right side is both halves of the specimen, they're just small samples I put on my scanner.

snowJT said:
oh sorry, well the actual specimen is from a charpy test, the material has a cross section of 1x1 cm, and the left and right side is both halves of the specimen, they're just small samples I put on my scanner.
Unfortunately, some of the surface is out of focus, and from the magnfication, it is difficult to see a difference.

What was the state of the 1095? As-forged or annealed?

Also remember 1095 steel is considered high carbon, so it's fracture surface may not be too dissimilar from a cast iron with the min amount of carbon. Heat treatment is important in the mechanical properties of carbon steel - really any steel or alloy.

Classification of Cast Iron

Would it be possible to obtain images from a microscope?

It would be worthwhile to do the same test for 1020, 1040, 1060, 1080 (all with the nomimal same thermo-mechanical treatment) and a low carbon cast iron and compare the fracture surfaces.

I do have additional samples of 1020, and 1040

But, what I'm wondering is why the sufrace of the 1095 appears to have a smoother surface than the cast irons, yet it was tested to need more energry to break it

Is it possible for something to need more energy to break if its even more brittle than the cast irons?

1. What is the purpose of taking pictures of samples?

The purpose of taking pictures of samples is to visually document the characteristics and properties of the sample for future reference and analysis. It can also aid in data analysis and presentation.

2. What type of samples can be photographed?

Almost any type of sample can be photographed, including biological specimens, geological samples, chemical compounds, and materials. The key is to ensure that the sample is properly prepared and the appropriate lighting and camera settings are used.

3. How do you ensure the accuracy of the images?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to use a standardized method for photographing the samples, such as using a scale for size reference or using a color calibration tool. It is also crucial to carefully document the sample's information, such as its name, location, and any treatments or modifications.

4. Can photographs of samples be used for scientific publications?

Yes, photographs of samples can be used for scientific publications as long as they accurately represent the sample and are properly cited. It is important to ensure that the images are not altered or manipulated in any way that could misrepresent the sample.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when taking pictures of samples?

Some common mistakes to avoid when taking pictures of samples include using improper lighting or camera settings, not properly documenting the sample's information, and using images that have been altered or manipulated. It is also important to take multiple pictures from different angles to fully capture the sample's features.