Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MOS capacitor transient response

1. Jan 15, 2008 #1

Suppose we have a MOS capacitor (n-substrate). When we give negative voltage the majority carrier (electrons) are repelled from the oxide-substrate interface and move towards the bulk.

Say the bias is -0.3 volts. The substrate is depleted and in steady-state. Suddenly if the bias is changed from -0.3 to -0.6, I know that the width of depletion region will increase definitely.

My question is how long will it take to reach the new steady state? Does it depends on some form of life time or response time? I found typical example in text books for optical step excitation where they showed (1-exp(t/tao)) like shape to reach steady-state.

How can I model the movement of majority carriers (electrons) under step bias?

Please give me some information.

M. Satter.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2008 #2

Gold Member

Hi hasib_eee,

I think I may have found an article that answers (to a certain degree) your question. Among the test conditions were step like bias voltages. I assume that your school gives you free access to various scientific journals. Here is the abstract:
    L. Bürgi, R. H. Friend, and H. Sirringhaus. Applied Physics Letters; 3/3/2003, Vol. 82 Issue 9, p1482, 3p
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?