Moscow Subway bombings kill 35+ civilians

• News
  • Thread starter MotoH
  • Start date
Russian authorities in Chechnya are doing the same. Aren't they?

I am not knowledgeable enough with that part of the world to give you an answer to that question. I would have to look at what the Russian brass has been saying and doing in the media, but if you have any references about this I would be open to reading them.

Beslan school is in North Ossetia

This is true.

(which most Russians will agree we do not care much for)

This is not true. Most Russians do care about Ossetian children. When neighboring South Ossetia was in trouble Russians came to the rescue sacrificing their lives and ignoring international condemnation.

They will roll tanks into the city center in the next few weeks, bomb a few 'suspected' terrorist holdouts and rape women and children. Then they will do this until they find one of the leaders like Dokka Umarov. There won't be a news coverage [...] There is no such thing as an innocent civilian

Oh, please! Calm down.

The first explosion was right next to the FSB headquarters if I am not mistaken.

Yes, Lubyanka station is right next to FSB and 10 minutes walk from the Red Square.

All the "tough" boys who are commenting here, demanding retaliation and special forces and whatnot, are morons. Grow up. You cannot beat someone who has decided to kill themselves in action. They are beyond reproach. All you can do is to make them not make that decision to begin with - which makes this a political problem.

Extremism can not be dealt with through politics because the foundation is idealogical.

The only option is to arrest/take-out the leaders, blow-up their meetings places, etc...
Having THEN taken care of the immediate threat, humanitarian re-education can proceed.

Just my opinion though...

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The only option is to arrest/take-out the leaders, blow-up their meetings places, etc...
Having THEN taken care of the immediate threat, humanitarian re-education can proceed.
I think that was also SAC's plan -however the terrorists got there first

Extremism can not be dealt with through politics because the foundation is idealogical.

Just my opinion though...

Yes, you've already stated your talking points several times over in this thread - we get it.

Isn't it a common phenomena that Chechen terrorists are female?

According to my understanding this is related to the Russian policy of killing all young Chechen males as terrorists. The Chechen females naturally are not going to turn into alternative sexuals simply because of the lack of guys. These women go after their guys... and take some Russians with them.

...the Russian policy of killing all young Chechen males as terrorists.

Never heard of such a policy.

These women go after their guys... and take some Russians with them.

These women are called "black widows" in the Caucasus. They wear black dresses and their sole purpose in life is the revenge for their fallen husbands, sons, brothers, ...

Yes, you've already stated your talking points several times over in this thread - we get it.

Great!!! Glad to see your in the camp.

... the Russian policy of killing all young Chechen males as terrorists.
Never heard of such a policy.

I was left under this impression after watching some documentary, which was uploaded to youtube.

I was left under this impression after watching some documentary, which was uploaded to youtube.

Keep in mind that people shooting documentaries or writing newspaper articles (almost) always have an agenda and bias. It is a good practice to listen to both sides before forming an opinion. I found it very unfortunate that US and Western media is often biased when covering the "outside" world (Iraq, Iran, China, Russia, Chechnya, Georgia, Yugoslavia, etc.)

Keep in mind that people shooting documentaries or writing newspaper articles (almost) always have an agenda and bias. It is a good practice to listen to both sides before forming an opinion. I found it very unfortunate that US and Western media is often biased when covering the "outside" world (Iraq, Iran, China, Russia, Chechnya, Georgia, Yugoslavia, etc.)

It could be that my instinct has eventually lead me in the following direction:

If there are countries A and B, and A's media informs me about how A is improving the world, and how B is carrying out atrocities, then I'm especially skeptical about the news about A's improving efforts, but not so skeptical about the news about B's atrocities.

And the same thing when you swap A and B.

Interesting point of view.

Do you seriously think that "extremism as ideology" will die out if only you kill enough extremists in extreme enough ways? There are ways to isolate the extremists by going into dialogue with moderate forces belonging to the same group, population, etc.