Most Accurate Estimate of Surface Area of a Bottle?

In summary: B01M98O8LF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1In summary, the most accurate way to estimate the surface area of a cylindrical bottle that decreases in diameter from its widest point to the narrowest point is by using a practical approach such as wrapping the bottle in tape or measuring the mass of a viscous fluid on the bottle. There is no fixed relationship between volume and surface area, so it is important to take into account the actual shape of the bottle. Additionally, it is possible to find formulas for the surface area of a cone or frustum of a cone, which may apply to this type of bottle.
CAF
What is the most accurate way to estimate the surface area of a cylindrical bottle that decreases in diameter from its wides point (the body) to the narrowest point ( the neck and cap)?

It seems like we did similar problems in calculus, however: 1. I don't remember any of it, and 2. I think you were always provided with the mathmatical expression of curve of the bottle so that you could calculate it by rotating it around the center axis or something.

I just have the actual physical bottles in front of me and want to know what the outer surface areas are.

My best guess so far is to just treat them as cylinders and not take into account the curved surface where it transitions from the body to the neck, but I would like to be as accurate as possible.

Is there some correlation between displacement of water and surface area I could calculate by dunking them?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no fixed relationship between the volume and the surface area. This will depend on the actual shape of the bottle. You'll have to resort to some practical approach:

1. Find some scotch tape that comes in a tiny width. Carefully wrap the bottle in tape (avoiding gaps and overlaps) and keep track of the length of tape used.

2. If you've got a mass balance with a good sensitivity, you can do a dip in a viscous fluid (like honey) and measure the mass of fluid on the bottle. Then using the mass stuck to a calibrated known area of identical glass you can find the area of the bottle.

3. Variation of above technique : cover bottle in sticky goop and roll it in a pan of tiny ball bearings (or equivalent). The balls will make a monolayer thick coating.

It is not clear how you can have a "cylinder" that decreases in diameter. Cylinders have a constant diameter by definition. Perhaps you have a cone? In that case you can look up formulas for the surface area of a cone, Google "frustum of a cone"

Here is an example of the type of bottle I am referring to:

Attachments

• ProductsMoldedBottles.jpg
    ProductsMoldedBottles.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 631

1. What is the most accurate method for measuring the surface area of a bottle?

The most accurate method for measuring the surface area of a bottle is to use a mathematical formula. This formula takes into account the dimensions of the bottle, including its height, circumference, and width, to calculate the total surface area.

2. Can the surface area of a bottle be estimated without using a formula?

Yes, the surface area of a bottle can be estimated without using a formula. This can be done by using a piece of graph paper and tracing the outline of the bottle's shape. The squares on the graph paper can then be counted to estimate the surface area.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the estimated surface area of a bottle?

The accuracy of the estimated surface area of a bottle can be affected by several factors. These include the shape and size of the bottle, the measuring instrument used, and any irregularities or imperfections in the bottle's surface.

4. How does the type of material the bottle is made of affect the accuracy of the estimated surface area?

The type of material the bottle is made of can impact the accuracy of the estimated surface area. For example, a bottle made of a smooth material, such as glass, may have a more accurate estimate compared to a bottle with a textured surface, such as a plastic bottle with ridges.

5. Is there a difference in measuring the surface area of a curved bottle versus a straight bottle?

Yes, there is a difference in measuring the surface area of a curved bottle versus a straight bottle. This is because a curved bottle has a more complex shape, which requires a different formula to calculate the surface area. Additionally, the curved surface may be harder to measure accurately compared to a straight surface.