Most accurate form of maxwell equations?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the most accurate form of equations in light of our understanding of quantum mechanics and relativity. It is mentioned that the two tensor equations of the Covariant formulation of classical electromagnetism may be the most accurate, taking into account the fact that a photon has greater than 0 rest mass. However, it is also noted that this is not a fact. Furthermore, it is stated that QM proves no form of energy can ever be 0, and that the best theory of classical electrodynamics is the generalization of Maxwell's equations to curved spacetime. The term "grand unified theory" is discussed, with clarification that it refers to the unification of electroweak and strong forces. The
DeepSeeded
What is everyones thoughts on the most accurate form of these equations with our current understanding of QM and relativity. Including the fact that a photon has greater than 0 rest mass.

Would the two tensor equations of Covariant formulation of classical electromagnetism be the most accurate?

Physics news on Phys.org
DeepSeeded said:
Including the fact that a photon has greater than 0 rest mass.

This is not a fact.

Vanadium 50 said:
This is not a fact.

I thought QM proves no form of energy can ever be 0, at minimum it must be hbar/2

Maxwell's equations ARE classical EM. No less accurate or more accurate forms. Those 4 equations detail all that there is to say about classical EM (which is really quite amazing). If you want to meld electromagnetism with quantum mechanics and special relativity then you're simply not in the classical regime and the combined theory of all those is called QED (Quantum Electrodynamics). If you want to merge that with general relativity then... well... no one knows. That's the current holy grail of particle physics research. What is called a "grand unified theory"

The best theory of classical electrodynamics is the generalization of Maxwell's equations to curved spacetime. By classical I mean non-quantum.

maverick_starstrider said:
Maxwell's equations ARE classical EM. No less accurate or more accurate forms. Those 4 equations detail all that there is to say about classical EM (which is really quite amazing). If you want to meld electromagnetism with quantum mechanics and special relativity then you're simply not in the classical regime and the combined theory of all those is called QED (Quantum Electrodynamics). If you want to merge that with general relativity then... well... no one knows. That's the current holy grail of particle physics research. What is called a "grand unified theory"

You are misusing the term "grand unified theory." Grand unification is the unification of electroweak and strong forces into different aspects of the same force.

Otherwise I think you hit the nail on the head with regards to the original post.

I am looking for the reletavistic quantum electrodynamic form of these equations, it does not need to be classical.

DeepSeeded said:
I thought QM proves no form of energy can ever be 0, at minimum it must be hbar/2

The units of h_bar/2 is not energy but momentum or action. Energy can be zero, no problem with it. Photons are massless by definition.

DeepSeeded said:
I am looking for the reletavistic quantum electrodynamic form of these equations, it does not need to be classical.
Then take the standard QED: it consists of EMF equations and charge motion equations coupled together.

ok going to take QED after I finish QM core

DeepSeeded said:
ok going to take QED after I finish QM core

You're going to have to take a stop at QFT in between.

1. What are the Maxwell equations?

The Maxwell equations, also known as Maxwell's equations, are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were first developed by the physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century.

2. What is the most accurate form of Maxwell equations?

The most accurate form of Maxwell equations is the differential form, which expresses the equations in terms of derivatives. This form is more precise and allows for a more detailed understanding of the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

3. How are the Maxwell equations used in science?

The Maxwell equations are used extensively in the field of electromagnetism, as they provide a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They are also used in many practical applications, such as telecommunications, electronics, and power generation.

4. Are the Maxwell equations ever modified or updated?

Yes, the Maxwell equations have been modified and extended over time as new discoveries and theories have been developed. For example, in the early 20th century, Albert Einstein's theory of relativity led to modifications in the equations to account for the effects of high speeds and strong gravitational fields.

5. What is the significance of the Maxwell equations?

The Maxwell equations are considered one of the most important achievements in the history of physics, as they provide a unified description of electricity and magnetism and have been crucial in the development of modern technology. They also played a key role in the development of Einstein's theory of general relativity and the understanding of the nature of light.