• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

MOST difficult circuit ever made

• Engineering
  • Thread starter impaxion
  • Start date
How to find different resistance out of 5 same and one different resistance in circuit.?
image of resistances are shown here
http://www.pictures.pk/viewer.php?id=rgh1210158811g.JPG [Broken]

in which 5 are same and one is different. how to recognize the different resistance in the circuit through ohm meter

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Defennder
Homework Helper
Er, what are the resistances? And you want to find the equivalent resistance between which two points?

we just have to find the different reistance in the circuit....

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm sorry, but I really don't understand the question. Could you please post the question verbatim?

just paste the link starting with pictures.pk and see the figure:yuck:

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
just paste the link starting with pictures.pk and see the figure:yuck:
I have done, but that only shows the diagram. I have no idea what the question is?!

Borek
Mentor
I think you are given circuit and the ohmeter and you are told that 5 resistances are identical, while 6th is different - and you have to find this 6th just by measuring resistance between any points in the circuit.

I also suppose you are not allowed to cut wires :wink:

impaxion: is there a preset limit to number of measurements you can make, or not?

CEL
The circuit is symmetric. If all resistances were equal, the measurement across any of them would show the same result (the resistance in parallel with the rest of the circuit).
Since there is a different resistance, the measurement across it will be different from the other measurements

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Could you please post the question verbatim?
It might not be in English.

At any rate, I think Borek has provided an accurate phrasing of what is being asked.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It might not be in English.

At any rate, I think Borek has provided an accurate phrasing of what is being asked.
Possibly true. It may be too hard for english speakers. I can't figure the problem out and I speak english. But I do agree the problem is pretty clear.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
we just have to find the different reistance in the circuit....
As drawn the circuit is symmetric along an axis through the center of the drawing. If you make two resistance measurements from a point on the axis to two symmetrical points off of the axis and get the same value, then the 'different resistance' must be one of the resistors that is rotated into itself by the symmetry, otherwise it's one of the others. That narrows the search down. Now find more symmetry axes. This isn't hard. You can really picture the circuit as lying on the edges of a tetrahedron. That's a good question!

Last edited: