1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MOST difficult circuit ever made

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    How to find different resistance out of 5 same and one different resistance in circuit.?
    image of resistances are shown here
    http://www.pictures.pk/viewer.php?id=rgh1210158811g.JPG

in which 5 are same and one is different. how to recognize the different resistance in the circuit through ohm meter
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Er, what are the resistances? And you want to find the equivalent resistance between which two points?

4. May 14, 2008 #3
    we just have to find the different reistance in the circuit....

5. May 14, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand the question. Could you please post the question verbatim?

6. May 14, 2008 #5
    just paste the link starting with pictures.pk and see the figure:yuck:

7. May 14, 2008 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have done, but that only shows the diagram. I have no idea what the question is?!

8. May 14, 2008 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I think you are given circuit and the ohmeter and you are told that 5 resistances are identical, while 6th is different - and you have to find this 6th just by measuring resistance between any points in the circuit.

I also suppose you are not allowed to cut wires :wink:

impaxion: is there a preset limit to number of measurements you can make, or not?

9. May 14, 2008 #8

CEL

The circuit is symmetric. If all resistances were equal, the measurement across any of them would show the same result (the resistance in parallel with the rest of the circuit).
    Since there is a different resistance, the measurement across it will be different from the other measurements

10. May 14, 2008 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It might not be in English.

At any rate, I think Borek has provided an accurate phrasing of what is being asked.

11. May 15, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Possibly true. It may be too hard for english speakers. I can't figure the problem out and I speak english. But I do agree the problem is pretty clear.

12. May 15, 2008 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As drawn the circuit is symmetric along an axis through the center of the drawing. If you make two resistance measurements from a point on the axis to two symmetrical points off of the axis and get the same value, then the 'different resistance' must be one of the resistors that is rotated into itself by the symmetry, otherwise it's one of the others. That narrows the search down. Now find more symmetry axes. This isn't hard. You can really picture the circuit as lying on the edges of a tetrahedron. That's a good question!

Last edited: May 15, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?