Find the voltage across a resistor in a difficult circuit

In summary, the problem is finding the voltage across R1 in a circuit with known values and using voltage divider or KVL to solve. There is uncertainty about the direction of current and the need for Thevenin or mesh analysis. However, the suggestion is to use KCL equations.
Juwane

Homework Statement

Find the voltage across R1 (see attached image).

Note that all values are known.

Homework Equations

Voltager divider might be used. I hope KVL doesn't have to be used here.

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that I don't know if the current from I1 is going into the path in which there is R3, because there would be current in the opposite direction (downwards) coming from I2. Do I need to use such anaylses as Thevenin or mess analysis to find the current through R1?

Attachments

• circuit2.gif
    circuit2.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 502
Physics news on Phys.org
Juwane said:

Homework Statement

Find the voltage across R1 (see attached image).

Note that all values are known.

Homework Equations

Voltager divider might be used. I hope KVL doesn't have to be used here.

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that I don't know if the current from I1 is going into the path in which there is R3, because there would be current in the opposite direction (downwards) coming from I2. Do I need to use such anaylses as Thevenin or mess analysis to find the current through R1?

I'd just use KCL equations.

1. How do I find the voltage across a resistor in a difficult circuit?

To find the voltage across a resistor in a difficult circuit, you can use Ohm's Law which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). Simply measure the current and resistance values and multiply them together to find the voltage.

2. What if I don't have access to current and resistance values?

If you do not have access to current and resistance values, you can use Kirchhoff's Laws which state that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop is equal to zero. You can use this principle to set up equations and solve for the unknown voltage.

3. Can I use a multimeter to find the voltage across a resistor in a difficult circuit?

Yes, a multimeter can be used to measure the voltage across a resistor in a difficult circuit. Set the multimeter to the voltage setting and place the probes across the resistor. The reading on the multimeter will be the voltage across the resistor.

4. What if the circuit is too complex to solve using traditional methods?

If the circuit is too complex to solve using traditional methods, you can use simulation software such as SPICE or LTspice to model the circuit and find the voltage across the resistor. These software programs use mathematical models to simulate circuit behavior.

5. Can I use a voltage divider circuit to find the voltage across a resistor in a difficult circuit?

Yes, a voltage divider circuit can be used to find the voltage across a resistor in a difficult circuit. This circuit uses two resistors in series to divide the input voltage and create a known voltage across one of the resistors, making it easier to measure the voltage across the other resistor.