Most likely location of a particle versus expected value of

In summary, the answer to part c is that there is no difference between the most likely position and the expected value.
Prometheus18
Hello. I'm using Griffiths' introductory textbook on quantum mechanics, which I have just begun, and have arrived at a question on a simple wave function:

15383804847826568917234736710885.jpg

The answer to the first question I know to be √(3/b).

The answer to part e is (2a + b) / 4.

My problem is that I don't understand how there is any difference between the most likely position of the particle on the X axis and its expected value, given above for part e.

I have checked the solution manual and its its answer to part c was just 'a', which was my initial instinct, because the graph reaches its maximum at a. But this seems to me to be contrary to the notion of an expected value which, among other things, in a probability context should be the most likely value.

Has the solutions manual got it wrong, or have I?

Attachments

• 15383804847826568917234736710885.jpg
    15383804847826568917234736710885.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,231
Physics news on Phys.org
In the case of a normal distribution, the most probable value is the same as the expectation value, but this is not the case for most distributions.

If you look at the Wikipedia page on multimodal distribution, you will see figures where this is obvious: when you have two humps more or less symmetrical, the most probable value will be at the top of one of the bumps but the expectation value near the middle of the two bumps.

(Note: by definition, the most probable value is the value where the probability distribution is the highest.)

Likes Prometheus18
Prometheus18 said:
Hello. I'm using Griffiths' introductory textbook on quantum mechanics, which I have just begun, and have arrived at a question on a simple wave function:

View attachment 231470

The answer to the first question I know to be √(3/b).

The answer to part e is (2a + b) / 4.

My problem is that I don't understand how there is any difference between the most likely position of the particle on the X axis and its expected value, given above for part e.

I have checked the solution manual and its its answer to part c was just 'a', which was my initial instinct, because the graph reaches its maximum at a. But this seems to me to be contrary to the notion of an expected value which, among other things, in a probability context should be the most likely value.

Has the solutions manual got it wrong, or have I?

In general, the expected value is the mean (or average) and the most likely is called the mode. As a simple example, the expected value of the roll of a die is 3.5, although all values from 1-6 are equally likely. And, of course, you can't actually ever throw a 3.5. Sometimes, therefore, the expected value is not a possible or valid outcome.

Likes Prometheus18 and DrClaude
PeroK said:
Sometimes, therefore, the expected value is not a possible or valid outcome.
Good point. This can be the case in quantum mechanics, where you for instance have spin-1/2 in states such that ##\langle S_z \rangle = 0## or ##\langle S_z \rangle = -\hbar/4##, while you can only ever measure ##\hat{S}_z## as ##\hbar/2## or ##-\hbar/2##.

Likes PeroK
Yes, thanks both of you. I've just been having a slightly dull morning; I should know the difference between a mode and mean by now!

Likes PeroK

1. What is the difference between the most likely location of a particle and its expected value?

The most likely location of a particle refers to the point where the particle is most likely to be found, while the expected value refers to the average location of the particle based on its probability distribution.

2. How is the most likely location of a particle determined?

The most likely location of a particle is determined by finding the peak of its probability distribution. This is where the probability of finding the particle is the highest.

3. Can the expected value of a particle's location be negative?

Yes, the expected value of a particle's location can be negative. This means that the particle is more likely to be found in a negative position than a positive one, based on its probability distribution.

4. Does the most likely location of a particle change over time?

Yes, the most likely location of a particle can change over time. This is because the probability distribution of the particle can change as it interacts with its environment.

5. How is the most likely location of a particle related to its uncertainty?

The most likely location of a particle is related to its uncertainty through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. This principle states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less certain we can be about its momentum, and vice versa.