1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion in 1D problem, it's not supposed to be this hard.

1. Aug 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

To save fuel, some truck drivers try to maintain a constant speed when possible. A truck traveling at 91.0 km/hr approaches a car stopped at the red light. When the truck is 115.7 meters from the car the light turns green and the car immediately begins to accelerate at 2.90 m/s^2 to a final speed of 106.0 km/hr. How close does the truck come to the car assuming the truck does not slow down?

2. Relevant equations

I might be wrong but I've used this formula:
    Vo = "V knot"
    Xo = "X knot" (initial position)

X = (1/2)at^2 + Vot + Xo

3. The attempt at a solution

I convert the trucks velocity from 91 km/hr into 25.278 m/s, and I've converted the car's final velocity to 29.44 m/s. I tried to do the above equation for both vehicles and set them equal to each other so I'll know what time they meet. I was thinking this way and then when I find TIME, I'll plug it in back into one of the "X = (1/2) etc" equation to find the distance.

My professor doesn't show us any examples, all he did was just show us how we get the equation. Thanks guys for any help, I really appreciate it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

The problem asks the minimal distance the truck approaches the car. If you find a time when they meet it means that the truck and the car will collide. Just think: The truck goes with uniform speed. The car accelerates from zero speed. Its speed increases, reaches that of the truck and gets even higher up to 106 km/h. Up to what speed will the distance decrease between them?

4. Aug 29, 2010 #3
    The truck is gaining on the car right up until the cars speed > the trucks speed. At what time does the cars speed equal the trucks speed? Where are the truck and car at this time?
  5. Aug 29, 2010 #4
    Thanks guys, so at some point the car AND the truck both have the same velocity right?
  6. Aug 29, 2010 #5

Homework Helper

Yes, and you have to find that moment.

7. Aug 29, 2010 #6
    OK, so the car will hit the speed of 25.278 (which is the same like the truck) at some time T right? I find that T and then plug it back into the position equation for each of the vehicles right? After that subtract the two and I get how much farther (closest) they are apart?
  8. Aug 29, 2010 #7
    Awesome! I got it! I knew it had something to do with time when they both has the same velocity! You just confirmed it and helped me out! Thank you so much guys!!!!! :)
  9. Aug 29, 2010 #8

Homework Helper

Congratulation! Good job!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook