Motion in 2 Dimensions - Pulleys

In summary, two masses of 1.6kg and 2.4kg are connected by a light string over a frictionless trolley. The acceleration of the 1.6kg mass can be calculated by using the equation net force = mass x acceleration. The tension in the string can be found by using the equation net force = mass x acceleration and solving for tension. The net force on the 2.4kg mass can be found by using the equation resultant force = mass x acceleration. The kinetic energy of the 1.6kg mass can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 x mass x velocity^2. There is sufficient information to solve for these values and the acceleration is not 1.
TheKovac

Homework Statement

Two masses A and B and of mass 1.6kg and 2.4kg respectively are connected be a light string which passes over a a frictionless trolley.
Calculate:
a) The accelaration of the 1.6kg mass.
b) The tension in the string
c) The net force on the 2.4kg mass
d) The Kinetic Energy of the 1.6kg Mass 0.5s the two masses are released.

Homework Equations

P=MV - M yes, V no, P no
u= v+at
v^2 = U^2 + 2as

The Attempt at a Solution

On first glance, it seems there is not enough data to be able to work out Acceleration. Am I right?

I request that some helpful user will be able to show a way to work the problem out, with the given data, and how Tension can be calculated. I am not asking that someone will do my homework, just that someone will help me work acceleration because I don't think there's enough data

Thank you in Advance.

Kindest Regards,
The Kovac

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes there is sufficient info I believe.

Start with drawing a free body diagram.

What are the forces acting on the 1.6kg mass? Similarly, what are the forces on the 2.4kg mass?

Assume the motion is downward with respect to the 2.4kg mass (meaning the 2.4kg mass moves down). ( Both would accelerate at the same rate so...)

What is the equation relating the resultant force for the 2.4kg mass?
What is the equation relating the resultant force for the 1.6kg mass?

If you did it correctly, you should see a way to get the acceleration and tension.

draw free body dig.and use
net f(on a body)=ma(of that body).

IS not the acceleration Zero? The question does not mention any details regarding any movement, so there has to be no acceleration, no?

If there is acceleration, would not that be 9.8m/s due to gravity? The answer is 1.6m/s but little data a figure such as that I am struggling to find.

Thank you for the assistance.

The acceleration would not be that of gravity, as there are other forces you must take into consideration. Also, there is an acceleration.

Also, I would hope the answer for acceleration is not 1.6 m/s; that is velocity.

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable that runs along the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force and make it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by transferring the force applied to one end of the rope to the other end. This allows the weight of the object being lifted to be distributed between the rope and the pulley, making it easier to lift.

3. What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley, on the other hand, is attached to the object being lifted and moves with it. This reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object.

4. How is motion in 2 dimensions affected by using pulleys?

Pulleys can affect motion in 2 dimensions by changing the direction and distribution of force. For example, using a pulley can allow an object to be lifted vertically even if the force is applied horizontally. It can also reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object, making it easier to move in 2 dimensions.

5. Can pulleys be used to create mechanical advantage?

Yes, pulleys can be used to create mechanical advantage by distributing the weight of an object between multiple ropes and pulleys. This reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object, making it easier to move or lift heavy loads.