1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion of a block on a steep surface

1. May 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The block was given an initial velocity up the surface with an angle of 45 degrees to the ground. Calculate the ##\frac{t_1}{t_2}## with ##t_1## being the time it took to get to the highest point up the hill and ##t_2## the time it took to get down. In both cases the frictional force with coefficient m= 0.2 was acting on it.
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    My tried solution is uploaded below in form of a picture.
    I have made free body diagrams but am stuck at getting the equation that involves time so that i can divide the two times. Any hints?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think generally: if a body moves a distance ##d## how does the time depend on the acceleration?

4. May 28, 2016 #3
    ##d=v_ot + \frac{1}{2}at^2##
    Im still kinda stuck...

5. May 28, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The body goes the same distance up the slope as it does down the slope. Down the slope is easy, as ##v_o = 0##.

You can use a trick for motion up the slope: the time taken to move a distance ##d## from an initial velocity to rest at deceleration ##a## is the same as the time to move a distance ##d## from rest at acceleration ##a##. This avoids needing to calculating ##v_0##.

To see this, think about distance as the area under a velocity/time graph.

6. Jun 18, 2016 #5
    I dont understand the trick, so in the new equation for the motion up the slope i would not have ##v_o## but would have some new ##a## while d stays the same right? How would i make that work?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted