Motion of a fluid-filled cube sliding on a submerged floor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
MisterMumbleX
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I came up with a math research topic dealing with fluid dynamics, but I do not understand fluid dynamics much, so I would like to know what happens in the following situation:
A cube is on the bottom surface of a room. The cube is to be filled with a certain amount of fluid, and the room is completely filled with a certain amount of (not necessarily different) fluid, meaning that the cube is submerged in this fluid since the cube is in the room. The cube is given a certain amount of momentum.

My main questions are these:
will the cube experience friction with the bottom surface (which isn't frictionless) of the room?
will the cube experience a liquid drag force defined in the equation here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_equation?
if there was no friction with the bottom surface of the floor, would the drag force bring the cube to a stop (v = 0) or would it bring it to a terminal velocity?
when there is friction (which I assume there is), would the liquid drag force still bring the cube to a terminal velocity, then the cube comes to a stop due to friction, or what?
at the bottom surface of the room, the cube experiences a buoyancy force upward right against gravity right?
how does viscosity and viscosity force come into play here?

The math research question I came up with in case someone wanted to know what it was:
What is the maximum amount of a liquid a cube of a given surface area, on a non-frictionless surface, and given a specific momentum can carry across a certain distance while submerged in a certain liquid?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MisterMumbleX said:
I came up with a math research topic dealing with fluid dynamics, but I do not understand fluid dynamics much, so I would like to know what happens in the following situation:
A cube is on the bottom surface of a room. The cube is to be filled with a certain amount of fluid, and the room is completely filled with a certain amount of (not necessarily different) fluid, meaning that the cube is submerged in this fluid since the cube is in the room. The cube is given a certain amount of momentum.

My main questions are these:
will the cube experience friction with the bottom surface (which isn't frictionless) of the room?
I think it wouldn't be able to rise. Like a fallen submarine.
will the cube experience a liquid drag force defined in the equation here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_equation?
The equation may have to be changed. I have to read the derivation.
if there was no friction with the bottom surface of the floor, would the drag force bring the cube to a stop (v = 0) or would it bring it to a terminal velocity?
If the force that imparts momentum is stopped, it'd suddenly reach v=0.
If the force is going on i think it'll reach terminal velocity.
when there is friction (which I assume there is), would the liquid drag force still bring the cube to a terminal velocity, then the cube comes to a stop due to friction, or what?
The continued force on the body would be reduced by a constant amount of frictional force against it.
So. terminal velocity.
at the bottom surface of the room, the cube experiences a buoyancy force upward right against gravity right?
With no liquid under it, it'd be difficult to get a push upwards.
how does viscosity and viscosity force come into play here?
as it does normally? (I know only mechanics. No fluid dynamics.)

The math research question I came up with in case someone wanted to know what it was:
What is the maximum amount of a liquid a cube of a given surface area, on a non-frictionless surface, and given a specific momentum can carry across a certain distance while submerged in a certain liquid?

would depend on densities and masses and forces. Is fluid dynamics mechanics extended?