Motion of a rocket with propellant exhaust gas speed = constant

In summary: So in summary, the problem is asking for the speed of the rocket relative to Earth one second after launch, and the exhaust velocity is relative to the rocket and not the Earth, so it should be taken into consideration when calculating the final velocity of the rocket.
arhzz
Homework Statement
The propellant gas flows out of a rocket with an initial mass of M = 650g at a constant speed of u0 = 200m / s. The consumption of the gas is μ = 200g / s. What is the speed of the rocket relative to Earth t = 1 second after launch?
Relevant Equations
$$ V = u0 * ln \frac M m0 $$
Now this is how I've tried to solve this

$$ v_e = u0 \cdot ln \frac {M} {M- μ \cdot t} $$

After putting in the values I get this;

$$ v_e = 200 * ln 0,36 $$
$$ v_e = 73,54 \frac m s $$

Now I'd say that this is the correct way to do it, but this part is confusing me "What is the speed of the rocket relative to Earth t = 1 second after launch?" This applies to every speed, because every speed is relative to the earth. Is this just an trick too put us off, or something worth considering within the paramets and calculations itself?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
arhzz said:
"What is the speed of the rocket relative to Earth t = 1 second after launch?" This applies to every speed, because every speed is relative to the earth. Is this just an trick too put us off, or something worth considering within the paramets and calculations itself?

Thank you in advance!
Not all speeds are measured relative to the Earth. It seems quite natural to say "relative to the Earth" here. It's certainly not a trick.

PS If the rocket is only ##650g## then that is a very small rocket. I guess it's supposed to be a firework.

Likes arhzz
The 200 m/s exhaust velocity of the gas is relative to the rocket. The problem wants to make sure you understand that you shouldn't follow suit and give the final velocity of the rocket relative to itself which is, of course, zero.

Likes arhzz
arhzz said:
$$ v_e = 200 * ln 0,36 $$

.. every speed is relative to the earth.
I think you mean $$ v_e = 200 *\ ln (650/450)=200*0,36 $$

Not every speed is relative to earth. Perhaps you mean that you would have assumed relative to Earth without needing it to be stated?

Likes arhzz
haruspex said:
I think you mean $$ v_e = 200 *\ ln (650/450)=200*0,36 $$

Not every speed is relative to earth. Perhaps you mean that you would have assumed relative to Earth without needing it to be stated?
Yes, I would have assumed relative to Earth without the statement, but all of your answers were of great help, thank you! And yes you are right, it is ln(650/450)

PeroK said:
Not all speeds are measured relative to the Earth. It seems quite natural to say "relative to the Earth" here. It's certainly not a trick.

PS If the rocket is only ##650g## then that is a very small rocket. I guess it's supposed to be a firework.
I see, and yes it was very small rocket shown to us in class.

Likes PeroK
kuruman said:
The 200 m/s exhaust velocity of the gas is relative to the rocket. The problem wants to make sure you understand that you shouldn't follow suit and give the final velocity of the rocket relative to itself which is, of course, zero.
I see, thank you!

1. What is the principle behind the motion of a rocket with constant propellant exhaust gas speed?

The principle behind the motion of a rocket with constant propellant exhaust gas speed is Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of a rocket, the action is the force generated by the exhaust gas being expelled from the rocket's engine, and the reaction is the force that propels the rocket forward.

2. How does the speed of the propellant exhaust gas affect the motion of a rocket?

The speed of the propellant exhaust gas directly affects the motion of a rocket. The faster the exhaust gas is expelled from the rocket's engine, the greater the reaction force and the faster the rocket will accelerate.

3. Can the propellant exhaust gas speed ever change during a rocket's flight?

Yes, the propellant exhaust gas speed can change during a rocket's flight. As the rocket's propellant supply is depleted, the exhaust gas speed will decrease, resulting in a decrease in the rocket's acceleration.

4. How does the mass of the rocket affect its motion with constant propellant exhaust gas speed?

The mass of the rocket does not affect its motion with constant propellant exhaust gas speed. As long as the exhaust gas speed remains constant, the rocket will continue to accelerate at the same rate, regardless of its mass.

5. Is it possible for a rocket to have a constant propellant exhaust gas speed throughout its entire flight?

No, it is not possible for a rocket to have a constant propellant exhaust gas speed throughout its entire flight. As mentioned earlier, as the propellant is used up, the exhaust gas speed will decrease, resulting in a decrease in the rocket's acceleration. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance can also affect the exhaust gas speed and the rocket's motion.