Motion of an electron in a nonuniform magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
ChessEnthusiast
Messages
115
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


An electron is shot towards an infinitely long wire with high current flowing througuh it.
Please, look at my "sketch" in the attachment.
How will its trajectory be affected? What curve will it be?

2. The attempt at a solution
I thought about circular motion, but the fact that force changes rather rules that out.
What about an ellipse?
 
Attachments
  • Wire.PNG
    Wire.PNG
    2.9 KB · Views: 501
Physics news on Phys.org
ChessEnthusiast said:

Homework Statement


An electron is shot towards an infinitely long wire with high current flowing througuh it.
Please, look at my "sketch" in the attachment.
How will its trajectory be affected? What curve will it be?

2. The attempt at a solution
I thought about circular motion, but the fact that force changes rather rules that out.
What about an ellipse?

Did you write the expression for the force on the electron?
 
ChessEnthusiast said:
thought about circular motion, but the fact that force changes rather rules that out.
What about an ellipse?
I believe it can't be just guessed. You need to write an equation, most likely a differential equation.
 
cnh1995 said:
I believe it can't be just guessed. You need to write an equation, most likely a differential equation.

I would suggest combining Newton's Second Law with Lorentz Force, using the right coordinate system, and then work from there.