1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion of charged particle in a magnetic field

1. Sep 21, 2006 #1
    OK first off here is the problem.

problem: A positive point charge q of mass m is injected with a velocity [tex]u_0 = \mu_0 j[/tex] into the y > 0 region where a uniform magnetic field [tex]B = B_0 i[/tex] exists. Obtain the equation of motion of the charge, and describe the path that the charge follows.

i, j and k represent unit vectors in the direction of the x, y and z axes.

Now I understand that the path will be a semicircle from the theory of the motion of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field and since y > 0 and I know that the force experienced by the particle will be in the z direction.

[tex]F_m = q(u_0 X B) = q \mu_0 B_0 k[/tex]

The velocity is going to be constant, but the motion will vary with time in the z direction I think? Obviously my problem is that I'm not too sure of how to solve for the equation of motion in this problem. I guess one of the reasons why I'm finding this so difficult is I can't even visualise it properly.

Any help to put me on the right track would be great.

EDIT: I can get the answer by simply equating the centripetal and magnetic forces and then substituting [tex]R= \frac {m \mu_0} {q B_0}[/tex] into the general equation of a semicircle, but I don't think this is how they want you to do it.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

[tex]u_0 = \mu_0 j[/tex] That's the initial velocity when it enters the magnetic field.

The velocity does not remain in the j-direction though. The particle accelerates, i.e. changes direction.

If the 'speed' is constant, what can one say about the trajectory?

If it leaves the magnetic field, it will travel in a straight line in the direction of the velocity vector where it leaves the M field, unless subject some other E or M field, not parallel with the velocity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?