Motion of Charges in E and B Fields

In summary, the question is about the potential difference needed to accelerate an electron from a heated filament at zero speed to a speed of 8.4x10^6 m/s. The relevant equation is 1/2mv^2=eΔV, where ∆V is the voltage difference and m is the mass of the electron. The standard electron mass of 9.11×10^-31 kg is used in this equation.
PatrickGeddes

Homework Statement

Consider and electron being ejected from the surface of a heated filament at nearly zero speed. Through what potential difference must it be accelerated to achieve a speed of 8.4x10^6 m/s?

Homework Equations

I have found that the equation I should be using is 1/2mv^2=eΔV (where I believe ΔV is m/e?)

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempt finding the equation is the work I have done.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Patrick! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
PatrickGeddes said:
I have found that the equation I should be using is 1/2mv^2=eΔV

yes :smile:

(but do you mean that you've worked out that this is the correct equation, or that you found it somewhere and it looks right? :confused:)
(where I believe ΔV is m/e?)

no, ∆V is the voltage difference (electric potential difference)

(V means voltage, ∆ means difference in)

I have a question on this one...what would the mass be? You have the V and e correct but you don't have m??

OR would the mass be just the standard electron mass at 9.11×10^-31 kg?

yup! :smile:

1. How do electric and magnetic fields affect the motion of charges?

The motion of charges is affected differently by electric and magnetic fields. In an electric field, charges experience a force in the direction of the field, causing them to accelerate. In a magnetic field, charges experience a force perpendicular to both the field and their own velocity, causing them to move in a circular path.

2. What is the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields?

The electric and magnetic fields are closely related and are often described together as the electromagnetic field. The strength and direction of the electric field is determined by the presence and motion of charges, while the strength and direction of the magnetic field is determined by the flow of electric current.

3. How do charged particles interact with an electromagnetic field?

Charged particles interact with an electromagnetic field through the Lorentz force, which is the combined effect of the electric and magnetic forces acting on the particle. This force causes the particle to follow a curved path in the direction of the resultant force.

4. Can the motion of charges in an electromagnetic field be predicted?

Yes, the motion of charges in an electromagnetic field can be predicted using the Lorentz force law and the equations of motion. The strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields, as well as the initial conditions of the charged particle, are all factors that determine the resulting motion.

5. What are some real-world applications of the motion of charges in E and B fields?

The motion of charges in electric and magnetic fields has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of charged particles in space, such as in the Earth's magnetic field and the aurora borealis.