1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion under influence of a resistive force

1. May 4, 2016 #1
    • No template because originally posted in wrong thread
    Consider the 1d motion of a body under the influence of the force given by F = -m*γ*vα. m is mass, γ is a constant of appropriate dimension, v is velocity and α is dimensionless constant. The value of α for which the motion will come to a stop in finite time is to be calculated. I solved the equation of motion given by v'' = -γ*vα and got an equation for t given by t = (1/γ)*(V01-α)/(1-α); V0 is the initial velocity. According to this, for all γ>1, time is finite. But the sign of t is negative. Why is this happening? Am I doing something wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2016 #2
    Your solution for t is correct. What do you get for t if ##\alpha = 0##? Is this a finite time? Is it positive?

4. May 4, 2016 #3
    For ##\alpha = 0## it is positive but what about something like α = 2? It is turning out to be negative unless I am mistaken. right?

5. May 5, 2016 #4
    Yes. That's the region that is not physically realistic.

What do you get when ##\alpha = -1##? Is that a finite time? What do you get for v vs t in the special case when ##\alpha = 1##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted