Motional emf with gravity as the pulling force

The direction of the magnetic force is given by the cross product. The cross product of two vectors is a vector perpendicular to both of the original vectors, given by the right hand rule. The direction of the velocity vector is into the page, the direction of B is out of the page, so the direction of the magnetic force is in the direction of the positive y-axis (counter-clockwise).
darkpsi

Homework Statement

A square loop of mass m resistance R and side l] is halfway inside a magnetic field pointing into the page. It is then released from rest and gravity pulls it out of the magnetic field.
a) Calculate the induced emf and the current as functions of the velocity.
b) Calculate the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force.
c) At some time the magnetic force will be equal to the gravitational force, calculate the velocity of the loop at this time.
d) Calculate the velocity of the loop as a function of time.

Homework Equations

induced emf = -d(phi)/dt
phi = integral(B * da)
V= emf = IR
magnetic force = qv X B (I think there are two components so this one is in the direction opposite gravity?)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
I'm pretty confident I figured out the emf and current that are induced.
Since:
da = l*v (with v = -dx/dt)
so:
d(phi)/dt = -Blv and emf = Blv
then:
I = Blv / R

b)
for the magnetic force the component opposing the graviational pull is in the positive x direction and is equal to the force of gravity in magnitude so it is equal to:
=-mg
and then there is a horizontal component that is allowing the charges to move in the positive y direction (or collectively counter-clockwise) with magnitude:
=vb per unit charge q
so finally:
magnetic force = vb - mg

I'm not so sure how to compute the direction unless I just described it like I have just now
I tried using the fact that the components form a triangle and saying:
tan(theta) = -vb/mg but I'm sure this isn't the way to go about it.

c)
I set the gravitational pull equal to the magnetic force so:
vb - mg = mg; vb = 2mg so:
v = 2mg / B

d)
I tried using f= ma and saying:
gravitational force - magnetic force= mg - VB + mg = ma
so:
a = 2g - vB/m
but if I tried to find the velocity and integrated I would get and answer that doesn't depend on time and that doesn't even involve gravity which puzzles me.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
darkpsi said:
magnetic force = qv X B (I think there are two components so this one is in the direction opposite gravity?)
The v in the equation that you have is the velocity of a charge carrier in a magnetic field. You don't want that. You need to use FM = I l x B where I is the induced current (your expression for I is correct.)

1. What is motional emf with gravity as the pulling force?

Motional emf with gravity as the pulling force is a phenomenon where the motion of a conductor through a gravitational field induces an electric field, creating an electromotive force (emf) in the conductor.

2. How is motional emf with gravity as the pulling force different from traditional motional emf?

In traditional motional emf, the motion of the conductor is caused by a magnetic field, while in motional emf with gravity as the pulling force, the motion is caused by gravity. Additionally, the direction of the induced electric field is opposite in these two cases.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of motional emf with gravity as the pulling force?

The magnitude of motional emf with gravity as the pulling force is affected by the strength of the gravitational field, the velocity of the conductor, and the length and orientation of the conductor with respect to the gravitational field.

4. How is motional emf with gravity as the pulling force used in real-world applications?

Motional emf with gravity as the pulling force is commonly used in devices such as accelerometers and seismometers, which measure changes in gravitational forces and motion respectively. It is also used in some power generators and motors.

5. What are the implications of motional emf with gravity as the pulling force in the study of electromagnetism?

The existence of motional emf with gravity as the pulling force highlights the interplay between electricity and gravity, and how they can affect each other. It also demonstrates the fundamental principles of electromagnetism and the relationship between electric and magnetic fields.