Motivation to Create the Total Derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of total derivative and its relationship to infinitesimal changes in a function. It is mentioned that the total derivative may only accurately describe the change in a smooth function and that introducing a variable t may require the use of the chain rule. The concept of climbing along the direction of w is also discussed, with the reminder that the tangent plane is only an approximation for this movement.
V0ODO0CH1LD
If I have w(x, y, z) and take "dw = (∂w/∂x)dx + (∂w/∂y)dy + (∂w/∂z)dz"; doesn't that accurately describe how w changes as x, y and z change by an infinitesimal? Or does that only work for some special cases?

I feel like if I take the total derivative I am actually describing how the function w changes with respect to an infinitesimal change in a parameter t. Or to one of the variables which all the other variables happen to depend on, not the variables x, y and z. Is that right?

Also, does "dw = (∂w/∂x)dx + (∂w/∂y)dy" mean that if I go one unit in the direction of x and one unit in the direction of y I will have climbed "(∂w/∂x) + (∂w/∂y)" along the direction of w?
Which is kind of like going one for x and one for y along the tangent plane?

Physics news on Phys.org
V0ODO0CH1LD said:
If I have w(x, y, z) and take "dw = (∂w/∂x)dx + (∂w/∂y)dy + (∂w/∂z)dz"; doesn't that accurately describe how w changes as x, y and z change by an infinitesimal? Or does that only work for some special cases?

You aren't asking precise mathematical questions; you're asking for an intutitive descriptions. It's OK to ask for intuitive descriptions, but realize that the type of answer you get isn't useable in a formal mathematical proof.

To the above question, I'd say your interpretation works for functions that are "smooth". I think you could make an example of a function w(x,y,z) that has a slope along a particular line of approach to the point (x,y,z) that is different from the slope predicted by the tangent plane to the function.

I feel like if I take the total derivative I am actually describing how the function w changes with respect to an infinitesimal change in a parameter t. Or to one of the variables which all the other variables happen to depend on, not the variables x, y and z. Is that right?

I'd say "No". If you introduce a variable t and visualize x,y,z as functions of t then to find how w changes with t, you'd have to use the chain rule. So to find [itex] \frac{dW}{dt} [/itex] you would have a sum with terms like [itex] \frac{\partial w}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial t} [/itex]

Also, does "dw = (∂w/∂x)dx + (∂w/∂y)dy" mean that if I go one unit in the direction of x and one unit in the direction of y I will have climbed "(∂w/∂x) + (∂w/∂y)" along the direction of w?
Which is kind of like going one for x and one for y along the tangent plane?

Are you visualizing a Cartesian coordinate system where w has its own axis? The change in the w coordinate that you describe is only correct if it all the climbing takes place in the tangent plane. The tangent place is only an approximation for what happens if you move along the surface w.

1. What is the total derivative?

The total derivative, also known as the full derivative or the differential, is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to its variables. It takes into account all the variables that affect the function, not just one.

2. Why is it important to understand the motivation behind creating the total derivative?

Understanding the motivation behind creating the total derivative can help us better understand the concept and its applications. It also allows us to see how the derivative relates to the function as a whole, rather than just a single variable. This can aid in problem-solving and further mathematical developments.

3. How is the total derivative different from the partial derivative?

The total derivative considers all variables that affect the function, while the partial derivative only considers one variable. This means that the total derivative takes into account the impact of all variables, while the partial derivative only looks at the impact of one variable at a time.

4. What are some real-world applications of the total derivative?

The total derivative has many applications in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It is used to calculate rates of change in physical systems, optimize functions in economics, and determine the sensitivity of a system to different variables in engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to using the total derivative?

One limitation of the total derivative is that it may not exist for certain functions. This can occur when the function is not continuous or differentiable at a certain point. Additionally, the total derivative can only be used to approximate small changes in a function, so it may not accurately represent larger changes.