Motocross: Physics of the Scrub

• Thread starter bdub_24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Report this ArgumentIn summary, the Bubba Scrub technique is faster than hitting the jump upright because it ends up being faster due to the lower angle.
bdub_24
Motocross: Physics of the "Scrub"

I was wondering why scrubbing over a jump proves to be faster than hitting the jump upright. James Stewart and many others have given poor, a likely false, explanations and some have provided logical explanations, but I wanted to see mathematical proof as to why it works.

I've attached a proof that I believe is pretty strong, but please check it out for yourself and let me know if there is anything wrong with it.

I was surprised to see in my example scenario the substantial difference in speed and time that comes from the technique.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 846
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 773
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 733
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what scrubbing means, it looks like it is flying over a flatter trajectory. Flatness determines how fast the flight ends: the flatter it is, the less time it takes. If two trajectories start and end at the same points, but one is flatter than another, then the flatter trajectory is faster. Unless I grossly misinterpret the meaning of "scrub", that's all there is to it.

bdub_24 said:
I was wondering why scrubbing over a jump proves to be faster than hitting the jump upright. James Stewart and many others have given poor, a likely false, explanations and some have provided logical explanations, but I wanted to see mathematical proof as to why it works.

I've attached a proof that I believe is pretty strong, but please check it out for yourself and let me know if there is anything wrong with it.

I was surprised to see in my example scenario the substantial difference in speed and time that comes from the technique.

I found that for scrubbing

Staying low and flat are the staples of Stewart’s technique, and when done correctly the Bubba Scrub is the fastest way to fly, bar none.

http://motocross.transworld.net/1000014563/photos/tuesday-tip-the-bubba-scrub/

As voko said, when you go higher, you need more time. Because if the speed of the motorcycle is the same in both cases, to jump higher you need to jump at greater angle and the forward speed will be less.

[itex]\mathtt{V_{forward}\ =\ \ V_{0}\cos{\alpha} }[/itex]

Physik_Flugbahn_vs_Abwurfwinkel_en.gif

So you will be faster with scrubbing.

Likes RaulTheUCSCSlug

1. What is the physics behind performing a scrub in motocross?

The scrub is a maneuver performed by motocross riders to quickly lower their trajectory and minimize airtime over a jump. It involves using the bike's suspension and body position to decrease lift and increase traction, allowing the rider to maintain a lower and faster approach to the jump.

2. How does a rider adjust their suspension for optimal scrubbing?

The suspension of a motocross bike plays a crucial role in performing a successful scrub. Riders typically adjust their suspension by stiffening the front forks and softening the rear shock to maintain a flatter and more balanced trajectory while scrubbing.

3. How does body positioning affect the physics of a scrub?

The rider's body position is essential in executing a scrub. By leaning the bike and their body towards the direction they want to scrub, the rider can counteract the bike's natural tendency to lift, reducing airtime and increasing speed over the jump.

4. What role do aerodynamics play in scrubbing?

Aerodynamics play a significant role in scrubbing as they determine the amount of lift and drag the bike experiences while in the air. Riders often modify their bike's bodywork and use techniques like tucking their legs in to reduce drag and create a more streamlined shape, allowing for a more efficient scrub.

5. Are there any risks associated with performing a scrub?

While scrubs can be an effective way to lower airtime and increase speed, they also come with risks. If not executed correctly, a scrub can cause the rider to lose control of the bike and potentially crash. It is essential for riders to practice and perfect their scrubbing technique before attempting it on a race track.