Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motor Selection to Operate Golf Cart Steering Wheel

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

I am trying to select a motor for a project that will have enough torque to operate the steering wheel of a golf cart. I'm trying to avoid over design as I want to be as economical as possible. The problem that I am having lies in determining the torque that is required to move the steering wheel. The golf cart will be operated on pavement at low speeds.

I am assuming the golf cart weighs 500lb that is evenly distributed to each tire. A requirement is that the motor be 12VDC.

I found an article (http://www2.ee.ic.ac.uk/cap/publications/2003/parking_torques.pdf) that outlines the torque needed to move the steering wheel of a vehicle at low speeds, but I am not sure that I can apply the findings directly to my situation.

If anybody can make any motor recommendations, or recommend a way to measure the torque I need, that would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2013 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Seems the best way to find out what torque is needed would be to measure it. Do you have an idea of how to do this?

4. Oct 31, 2013 #3
    Put a torque wrench on the nut that holds the steering wheel on the column and measure the input torque. As far as the motor to turn the wheel, I would think about using a couple of sprockets and a chain to drive it from a stepper with an encoder or a servo motor so you can get some positional control as well as feedback if needed.
    Sounds fun!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook