Motor that meets these requirements?

• Thread starter bcjirvin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a motor that meets certain requirements, including minimum torque, minimum no load speed, minimum power capability, maximum length, and maximum diameter. Suggestions are made to search online or ask NASA, and the Dremel tool is mentioned as a potential option with a maximum speed of 50,000 rpm on mains and 30,000 rpm on battery power.
bcjirvin
Does anyone know of a motor that meets these requirements?

Minimum torque: 5.5 mNm
Minimum no load speed: 30,000rpm
Minimum power capability: 8.7 watts
Maximum length: 1" plus/minus .25"
Maximum diameter: 3"

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If no one has a source, why not search online.

I hate to sound like Fox Mulder, but have you asked NASA about this? That 30,000 rpm figure seems reminiscent of the stabilization gyros on the early LandSat and KeyHole satellites.

Just thinking out loud... :uhh:

Oh, nuts! How could I forget the friendly neighbourhood Dremel tool? I've never disassembled one, so I'm not sure about the motor dimensions, and I have no idea as to the torque and wattage, but they spin up to 50,000 rpms on mains or 30,000 on battery power. A bit pricey, but very reasonable for what they can do.

I would suggest looking into brushless DC motors as they have the capability to meet these requirements. They have high torque, can reach speeds of up to 100,000rpm, and have power capabilities ranging from 10 watts to over 100 watts. Additionally, they come in various sizes and can easily fit within the maximum length and diameter specifications mentioned. It would be important to consider the specific application and any other specific requirements in order to choose the most suitable motor for your needs. I recommend consulting with a motor expert or doing further research to find the best option for your project.

1. What are the requirements for a motor?

The requirements for a motor typically include specifications such as speed, torque, power output, and efficiency. These requirements are determined by the specific application of the motor and can vary greatly depending on the industry or use case.

2. How do you determine if a motor meets these requirements?

The best way to determine if a motor meets the requirements is by conducting tests and gathering data. This can include measuring the motor's performance under different loads, speeds, and conditions. It is also important to compare the data with the specified requirements to ensure they are being met.

3. Can a motor be modified to meet different requirements?

Yes, in most cases a motor can be modified to meet different requirements. This can include changing the size, shape, or components of the motor to achieve the desired specifications. However, it is important to consider the limitations and capabilities of the motor before making modifications.

4. What are the consequences of a motor not meeting the requirements?

If a motor does not meet the requirements, it may not be suitable for its intended use. This can result in decreased performance, inefficiency, and potentially even damage to the motor or the equipment it is powering. It is important to ensure that the motor meets the requirements to avoid these consequences.

5. Are there any standard guidelines for motor requirements?

There are no universal guidelines for motor requirements as they can vary greatly depending on the specific application. However, there are industry standards and regulations that may need to be followed for certain applications, such as safety requirements for motors used in hazardous environments.