Mountain climber 2d forces question.

• Thread starter boognish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2d Forces
In summary, the climber is suspended from a cliff by a rope. The angle formed by the rope to the climber is 31 degrees and the angle of the climbers legs is 15 degrees north of horizontal. If the force is exerted parallel to her legs, the tension in the rope is 202.4 N and the force that the mountain climber must exert is 509.6 N. The minimum coefficient of friction between her shoes and the cliff is .
boognish
1. a 52 Kg mountain climber is suspended from a cliff by a rope.

Given a few bits of information the angle formed by the rope to the climber is 31 degrees

The angle of the climbers legs is 15 degrees north of horizontal

(a) Find the tension in the rope and the force that the mountain climber must exert
with her feet on the vertical rock face to remain stationary. Assume that
the force is exerted parallel to her legs. Also, assume negligible force
exerted by her arms.

(b) What is the minimum coefficient of friction
between her shoes and the cliff?

note: part of the weight of the climber is held up my the rope and part by her legs.

any help here would be great. I can account for the forces in a free body diagram and can account for a weight force of 509.6 N, but I am a bit lost in how to set up the rest of the system to account for the different angles.

full problem at http://openstaxcollege.org/files/textbook_version/hi_res_pdf/9/Physics_col11406_CP-1-002-DW-preflight.pdf

ch 5 question 17

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the free body diagram of the climber, and ask yourself what the conditions are for her to be stationary.

ok here is the first part i am stuck at.

If i isolate the tension force then i can see that there is a 31 degree angle east of south...
the components of y would be Ft cos (31) and x would be Ft sin (31)

Where i get confused is the next step shown by my instructor is this equation.

y = Ft cos 31 + Fc sin 15 -Fg = 0

where Fc sin 15 is the force of static friction.

It seems like there are a lot of steps missed here.
I can usually fill in the gaps my teacher leaves but this seems like a BIG gap.

to answer your question the forces would have to cancel each other out.

Yes, you canceled the forces out in the y component, now do the same with the x component.

so here is where i am at...

y: Ft cos 31 + Fc sin 15 - Fg = 0
x: ft sin 31 - fc cos 15 = 0

using substitution i can solve for Fc

cos 31 x (Fc cos 15/sin 31) + Fc sin 15 - Fg = 0

when i try to solve for elements of cos 15 and sin I am getting different square roots divided by 4.

i don't know how to handle that information in the equation or if there is a more simple way to resolve he equation.

boognish said:
cos 31 x (Fc cos 15/sin 31) + Fc sin 15 - Fg = 0

I don't see a problem with solving for Fc here...

I adjusted the equation to solve for tension as that is what I actually want to know so:

Ft x cos 31 + (Ft sin 31/cos 15) x sin 15 - Fg = O

When I enter the known values i have this:

Ft x .857 + (Ft x .515 / square root of 6 + square root of 2 / 4) x (square root of 6 - square root of 2 / 4) - 509.6 = 0

I am confused why the sin and cos of 15 are not coming up with something more concrete than square + square/ 4

I am not sure why you are trying to solve an exact value for sin 15 and cos 15. They are not special angles, so you can leave them in decimal form.

1. What is the purpose of studying forces in 2D for mountain climbers?

The purpose of studying forces in 2D for mountain climbers is to understand the different types of forces that act on them while climbing, and how to properly manage and utilize these forces to ensure safety and success in their climb.

2. What are some examples of forces that mountain climbers may encounter?

Some examples of forces that mountain climbers may encounter include the force of gravity, friction, air resistance, and tension from ropes and harnesses.

3. How does a mountain climber's weight affect their climb?

A mountain climber's weight affects their climb by increasing the force of gravity acting on them, making it more difficult to move upwards. It also affects the amount of friction between their body and the climbing surface.

4. How can understanding 2D forces help a mountain climber improve their technique?

Understanding 2D forces can help a mountain climber improve their technique by allowing them to better manage their weight distribution and use their body and equipment to counteract and balance out external forces. This can make their climb more efficient and less physically taxing.

5. Are there any safety precautions mountain climbers should take when considering forces in 2D?

Yes, there are several safety precautions mountain climbers should take when considering forces in 2D. These include properly anchoring and securing ropes, using appropriate safety equipment, and having a thorough understanding of how forces can affect their climb. It is also important to regularly check and maintain equipment to ensure it is in good working condition.