Moveable pulleys you multiply the mechanical advantage

In summary, the conversation is about how to lift a load using moveable pulleys. The calculation shows that the effort required is equivalent to the tension in a string multiplied by 2.
Chocolaty
Question: http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/5593/pulley9dm.jpg

Ok so i understand that for every moveable pulleys you multiply the mechanical advantage by 2. In this scenario there are 3 moveable pulleys, and they all look like they are supported by the ceiling so I need to divide the load by a half (i think...) so does that mean that:

(6000N + 300N)/(2*2*2(MA)*2(ceiling) = 196,9N?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this right?
cmon, someone has to know this

whether the uppermost pulley is moveble?

No, whether my answer is correct. I'm really not sure if i worked the problem correctly.

Chocolaty said:
No, whether my answer is correct. I'm really not sure if i worked the problem correctly.

only want to find correct answer or want to learn?

If the uppermost pulley is not movable then how many movable pullies are there and what will be MA?

Of course i want to learn, if i have the answer right it means that the calculation is right.

I think that the highest pulley is fixed and the 3 others are moveable. So the mechanical advantage is 2*2*2 = 8. But since the 3 moveable pulleys are attached to the ceiling I think it means that the work force is divised by 2, only once or three times? no clue, i'll say 3 times. So then MA = 8*2*2*2=64
Seems a little high. Is this right?

no, the mechenical adwantage is 2*2*2 = 8 only
means you have to apply 1/8 of the load.

for a single movable pulley one end of string is attached to the ceiling and the other end is held so that you have to apply a force equal to the tension in the string which is half in case of frictionless system. hence MA is 2.

How do you work the math dealing with the ceiling in all this?

Edit: ok i think i understand what you wrote.

mukundpa said:
no, the mechenical adwantage is 2*2*2 = 8 only
means you have to apply 1/8 of the load.

for a single movable pulley one end of string is attached to the ceiling and the other end is held so that you have to apply a force equal to the tension in the string which is half in case of frictionless system. hence MA is 2.

it is 2 for a single pulley
in our system we have three pulleies and hence it is 2*2*2 = 8

now what is your answer for the effort, to lift the load?

(6000N + 300N)/8MA = 787.5N

So the only thing you have to do is basicly ignore the fixed pully and multiply the MA by 2 for each moveable pulleys in any possible system?

This is like childs play... i was complicating things for nothing

good

As nothing is said about where and how the friction is acting you may add it with load, otherwise the things will be different and a bit complicated.

MP

When I read the problem it sounds like frictional force is a net force. Also note the subscript is 't' as in 'total'. I am wondering if the Ft should be devided by 8 too. If the given 300 N is a net fric. force that the man has to work against, then he really have to apply 6000/8 + 300 = 1050 N.

Related to Moveable pulleys you multiply the mechanical advantage

1. What is a moveable pulley?

A moveable pulley is a type of pulley system that has a pulley attached to the load, allowing the direction of the force to be changed. This type of pulley can be moved along the rope or cable, making it useful for lifting heavy objects.

2. How does a moveable pulley multiply the mechanical advantage?

A moveable pulley multiplies the mechanical advantage by reducing the amount of effort needed to lift an object. This is because the weight of the object is distributed between the two sections of rope supporting the pulley, making it easier to lift.

3. What is the equation for calculating the mechanical advantage of a moveable pulley?

The equation for calculating the mechanical advantage of a moveable pulley is MA = 2, where MA is the mechanical advantage. This means that the force needed to lift an object is half of its weight.

4. What are some common uses for moveable pulleys?

Moveable pulleys are commonly used in construction, agriculture, and manufacturing industries for lifting heavy objects. They are also used in sailboats to raise and lower sails, and in theatrical productions for moving scenery and props.

5. Are there any limitations to using moveable pulleys?

While moveable pulleys can greatly reduce the amount of effort needed to lift an object, they do have limitations. The more pulleys that are used in a system, the more friction is created, which can decrease the overall efficiency. Additionally, moveable pulleys are not suitable for lifting extremely heavy objects as the rope or cable may break under the weight.